I got a religious tract today

Discuss atheism, religious apologetics, separation of church & state, theology, comparative religion and scripture.
lpetrich

I got a religious tract today

Post by lpetrich » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:34 am

It was a little card. On the front: "Are You a Good Person?" and "Find Out on the Other Side".

On the back was how following the Ten Commandments are God's idea of whether one is worthy of going to Heaven. "Ever steal, lie, hate, lust, or disobey your parents?" -- seems like Ray Comfort with its extreme interpretation of the usual set of 10C's.

Then it goes on to say that Jesus Christ's execution was satisfactory substitute punishment -- if one believes in him and goes to a "full gospel" church and stuff like that.

Yawn.

Why the 10C's and not the Sermon on the Mount? The scriptural percussionists ignore the teachings of their Lord and Savior, or so it seems.

Politesse

Post by Politesse » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:50 am

Never mind Jesus, I have always found it odd how they fetishize the Decalogue while ignoring the rest of the law. Much of which is meant as an explanation of or explication of said commandments, presumably from God's own mouth.
"The truth about stories is that's all we are" ~Thomas King

Cheerful Charlie

Post by Cheerful Charlie » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:36 pm

[quote=""lpetrich""]It was a little card. On the front: "Are You a Good Person?" and "Find Out on the Other Side".

On the back was how following the Ten Commandments are God's idea of whether one is worthy of going to Heaven. "Ever steal, lie, hate, lust, or disobey your parents?" -- seems like Ray Comfort with its extreme interpretation of the usual set of 10C's.

Then it goes on to say that Jesus Christ's execution was satisfactory substitute punishment -- if one believes in him and goes to a "full gospel" church and stuff like that.

Yawn.

Why the 10C's and not the Sermon on the Mount? The scriptural percussionists ignore the teachings of their Lord and Savior, or so it seems.[/quote]

Sell all you have and give to the poor. (Numerous verses)
Christians are to be communists. (Acts 2 and 4)
Pray in private. (Matthew)
Help the poor, those in prison, those who are hungry, thirsty of sick. (Matthew 25) Follow Jesus not Ayn Rand.
And on and on.
Cheerful Charlie

MattShizzle

Post by MattShizzle » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:06 am

Also, why Sodom and Gemorrah were smited. It wasn't anything to do with people being gay...

dancer_rnb

Post by dancer_rnb » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:38 am

I've read some orthodox rabbis state the 10 commandments weren't for righteous gentiles, who only needed to follow the Noachian laws. Six which were similar to some of the 10cs and one law about not eating flesh cut from a living animal.
There is no such thing as "politically correct." It's code for liberalism. The whole idea of "political correctness" was a brief academic flash-in-the-pan in the early 1990's, but has been a good conservative bugaboo ever since.

Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:21 pm

[quote=""MattShizzle""]Also, why Sodom and Gemorrah were smited. It wasn't anything to do with people being gay...[/quote]

What was it all about?

Regards
DL
God is a cosmic consciousness .
Telepathy the key.
Our next evolution. No choice.

Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:23 pm

[quote=""lpetrich""]

[/quote]

What do you think of Christians who believe in that doctrine?

Moral, immoral or something else?

Regards
DL
Telepathy the key.

MattShizzle

Post by MattShizzle » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:35 pm

[quote=""Greatest I am""]
MattShizzle;681637 wrote:Also, why Sodom and Gemorrah were smited. It wasn't anything to do with people being gay...
What was it all about?

Regards
DL[/QUOTE]

Basically being rich and not helping the poor.

Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:22 pm

[quote=""MattShizzle""]
Greatest I am;681908 wrote:
MattShizzle;681637 wrote:Also, why Sodom and Gemorrah were smited. It wasn't anything to do with people being gay...
What was it all about?

Regards
DL
Basically being rich and not helping the poor.[/QUOTE]

That is a small part of it, yes.

Jews and Rabbi Wolpy tell me it was all about hospitality.
I could not get the quote but -----

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L_anabAM94

Regards
DL
Telepathy the key.

Jackrabbit

Post by Jackrabbit » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:59 am

[quote=""Cheerful Charlie""]
Pray in private. (Matthew)
[/quote]
Ah, yes.
6:5 wrote:And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites. are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men.
I always laugh whenever I see them doing it at a restaurant, especially when holding hands. As hard core as my parents were, even they didn't do that. They actually obeyed the above verse.

I'm grateful that I didn't have to endure that embarrassment. I didn't want to be seen of men while doing that shit. Even if I was only pretending to, it would have still been embarrassing.
Moe: "Why don't you get a toupee with some brains in it?" <whack!>