Face Recognition

Discuss philosophical concepts and moral issues.
Grendel

Face Recognition

Post by Grendel » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:11 am

I like whodunnits. Escapism. One of my favourite series is Morse.

In one episode Morse is chastised by Chief Superintendent Strange. The Chief Superintendent uses a particular sentence during his criticism of Morse. This same actor also appeared as a 'Red Judge' 10 years earlier in a series called Rumpole. The 10 years difference in age is not apparent, at least to me.

In the Rumpole series, in a particular episode, this actor chastises Rumpole. He uses the same sentence as he uses in the Morse script.

It's a two second sentence, same intonation, similar imagery, except he's in the robes of a red judge and has a judicial wig on his head.

I edited both movies. I swapped the two second piece. I put the Rumpole scene into the Morse scene, replacing the two second sentence. So that in the middle of the Chief's diatribe against Morse, he suddenly appears in the robe of a red judge, a moment, then gone forever, back to normality.

No one notices this when I play that Particular Morse. If the image is noticed it's put down to inattention of the moment, or some glitch.

To be fair, that's all it is, a glitch deliberately introduced.

What does it imply?

Rie

Post by Rie » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:59 am

Most people don't have that retention of another's features... With me , possibly because I sketch, paint etc. I am always aware of even the changes in a face with changing emotion.
I love to freeze frame and see where an edit has ocurred for example... and this also shows a 'still' of the features which reveals a lot.
I grew up with showbiz people and often one hears about the camera 'putting on weight'
The object of a sequence is to give the impression of a seamless sequence in real time but each take exists on its own and sometimes ends on the 'cutting room' floor.
A lot depends on the Director.
"You understand?" said Ponder
"No. I was just hoping that if I didn't say anything you'd stop trying to explain things to me." - Terry Pratchett, The Last Hero

subsymbolic

Post by subsymbolic » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:23 am

That our visual systems depend heavily on Gaussian probability as a heuristic to allow us to make sense of the world in real time.

The simple version goes something like this:

When processing images, the eye/brain asks how likely a given event is based on accumulated knowledge and also what evidence there is for any given event.

So a very, very unlikely image, even one with lots of evidence, is quite likely to be rejected in the visual cortex and a more likely one is likely to be the final interpretation. Just how powerful this is in the development of conscious experience is quite revealing...

(I'm describing this as an agent level explanation, but it's actually a process that occurs recursively at (and between) most levels of processing

This can be seen nicely with the example of binocular rivalry (not that the world seems to have caught up with this yet...

http://visionlab.harvard.edu/Members/Ol ... torial.pdf

See also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubNF9QNEQLA

Grendel

Post by Grendel » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:38 am

That was good. I never even noticed the set change. But I'm old and only have an iPhone. Heheee

I like the simple-agent explanation. It explains overlooking the 'red robe' from a number of angles.

Would you say that the 'face' is not necessary to recall the person in memory?

That is, if my mind was a sql database then the 'face' is not a primary key in the table 'person' but a foreign key with a table of it's own. I can recall people who I have met, sat down with, talked with ... I recall the meeting, sometimes in great detail, but the face has blurred, I cannot even recall the clothes they were wearing. How is it I can recall the person, but almost no detail of the person?

Rie

Post by Rie » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:03 am

More than ever I have respect for my grey cells and they work wonders recognising related words ... the cross referencing that takes only seconds is incredible.I believe this is part of recognition of images as in another's face.
"No. I was just hoping that if I didn't say anything you'd stop trying to explain things to me." - Terry Pratchett, The Last Hero

Rheanne

Post by Rheanne » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:07 pm

I think it's down to neural parsimony.

Once you've taken in a scene and visually categorised, sorted and stored what there is to see, your mind stops wasting processing cycles on what it, through prior experience, "knows" shouldn't change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR-UOzewD5A

Your mind "knows" that a uniform doesn't change like that, so it doesn't bother focusing on it any more than the initial appraisal neccessitates. Thereafter it's ignored.

subsymbolic

Post by subsymbolic » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:28 pm

[quote=""Rheanne""]I think it's down to neural parsimony.

Once you've taken in a scene and visually categorised, sorted and stored what there is to see, your mind stops wasting processing cycles on what it, through prior experience, "knows" shouldn't change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR-UOzewD5A

Your mind "knows" that a uniform doesn't change like that, so it doesn't bother focusing on it any more than the initial appraisal neccessitates. Thereafter it's ignored.[/quote]

Ahh, the eighties, Blondie, Eurythmics, dodgy explanations of complex phenomena.

Now, using your hands in front of your eyes, make a couple of hand binoculars so you can only see a small area through each eye.

Equipped with this high tech lab tool take two small things, say two small toys cars, and arrange it so that you can only see one through one eye and only one through the other. After your have boggled for a while, think about how the rather static and serial account of neural function might make sense of this...

Oh, and welcome back.

Grendel

Post by Grendel » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:06 pm

[quote=""Rheanne""]I think it's down to neural parsimony.

Your mind "knows" that a uniform doesn't change like that, so it doesn't bother focusing on it any more than the initial appraisal neccessitates. Thereafter it's ignored.[/quote]

I tend to agree with that. But there are some facts I need to add. They change everything. I think I have a theory. But I'm at grandaddy's day at primary school. Little brats running round everywhere.

Soon

Grendel

Post by Grendel » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:54 pm

Hey Val, that you?

👍🙏🏽👍

Rie

Post by Rie » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:09 am

When searching for a word I find even more respect for the greatness of the grey cells... it takes only seconds to access the alternative or the right word.
Being left handed I developed an interest in the brain early in life... and also discovered that we lefties or 'mollydukers' have advantages in respect of intuitive and creative matters, like music and artistic stuff. :thor:

Rheanne

Post by Rheanne » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:48 pm

[quote=""Grendel""]Hey Val, that you?

👍🙏🏽👍[/quote]

Yaw.