Ikigai is a convergence of four elements:In Japan, millions of people have ikigai (pronounced Ick-ee-guy) a reason to jump out of bed each morning.
Whats your reason for getting up in the morning?
The Japanese island of Okinawa, where ikigai has its origins, is said to be home to the largest population of centenarians in the world.
- What you love
- What the world needs
- What you are good at (skill)
- What you can get paid for (career)
- Love + Needs = Mission
- Needs + Career = Vocation
- Career + Skill = Profession
- Skill + Love = Passion
- Skill + Love + Needs: Delight and fullness, but no wealth
- Love + Needs + Career: Excitement and complacency, but sense of uncertainty
- Needs + Career + Skill: Comfortable, but feeling of emptiness
- Career + Skill + Love: Satisfaction, but feeling of uselessness
Hector Garcia and Francesc Miralles have written a book, Ikigai: The Japanese Secret to a Long and Happy Life, and they propose ten rules:
1. Stay active and dont retire
2. Leave urgency behind and adopt a slower pace of life
3. Only eat until you are 80 per cent full
4. Surround yourself with good friends
5. Get in shape through daily, gentle exercise
6. Smile and acknowledge people around you
7. Reconnect with nature
8. Give thanks to anything that brightens our day and makes us feel alive.
9. Live in the moment
10. Follow your ikigai