Mustaches and Caste in India

For discussion of all aspects of human rights
Copernicus

Mustaches and Caste in India

Post by Copernicus » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:51 pm

It appears that Dalits are not supposed to grow mustaches. That is something that I would not have guessed.

Why Indian men have been 'beaten up over moustaches'?

Aupmanyav

Post by Aupmanyav » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:01 am

In some regions, a bridegroom cannot ride a mare to go to the bride's place. That is the prerogative of the higher castes, basically Thakurs (former Royalty), Rajputs, warrior clans - termed as 'darbar' in that area of Gujarat (Saurashtra/Kutch). Sometimes, perhaps even brandishing a new shoe on feet, wearing goggles too could be an affront to the thakurs. Brahmins and trader castes (Vaishyas) are not that powerful.

I hope the culprits will be apprehended and punished. If not apprehended, it will be a set-back for the ruling party as the state will go to polls in December. The vote of the lower castes is important for all players.
'Sarve khalu idam Brahma'
All things here are Brahman (physical energy).

Ajay0

Post by Ajay0 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:15 am

[quote=""Copernicus""]It appears that Dalits are not supposed to grow mustaches. That is something that I would not have guessed.

Why Indian men have been 'beaten up over moustaches'?[/quote]

There are many primitive feudalist beliefs still prevalent in India leading to a medieval mindset, relative perspectives of right and wrong which distort the proper perception of reality as it is.

This leads to unmeasured responses and which may not be in concordance with impartiality, fairness and justice. This is also one of the major reasons for the growth of reactionary forces like maoism and islamic fundamentalism in India.
Self-awareness is yoga. - Nisargadatta Maharaj

Evil is an extreme manifestation of human unconsciousness. - Eckhart Tolle

Copernicus

Post by Copernicus » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:40 pm

Thanks for the information. As an outsider, I only have a superficial grasp of the arcane rules governing caste behavior. People will make status symbols out of all sorts of things that would surprise those not involved in the social hierarchy.