DavidB: Tributes

For help in being a non-believer or campaigning for secularism while beset by believers. If believers post here they should remember that this is a support forum. There is also a members-only subforum.
Cath B

Post by Cath B » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:06 pm

So I'm not drinking alone. :)

:cheers:

ruby sparks

Post by ruby sparks » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:09 pm

Given that your location is listed as Scotland, I'd say that would be impossible at any given moment. :)

As it would be here in Ireland.

Cath B

Post by Cath B » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:24 pm

Don't believe everything you read!

The home is Scotland.

The location is Wales.

Where folk also drink from time to time.

ruby sparks

Post by ruby sparks » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:32 pm

Nice people, the Welsh. Amateur drinkers, the lot of 'em, but not a bad bunch.

BWE

Post by BWE » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:11 pm

Cath, I wrote this song and once told my wife I wanted someone to play it at my funeral. Maybe you will like it.

https://sites.google.com/site/pteraster ... radise.mp3

Cath B

Post by Cath B » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:00 pm

Yes, I do like it BWE. :)

Old Woman in Purple

Post by Old Woman in Purple » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:22 am

[quote=""Febble""]
Cath B;527292 wrote:Well listening to that has just got me opening a bottle of wine.

I hardly ever drink, and never when I'm on my own, but I think I could do with it.
Well, I'm drinking a glass with you, and to you, Cath.

:hug: [/QUOTE]

I'm in! :d rinking:

BWE

Post by BWE » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:05 am

[quote=""Cath B""]Yes, I do like it BWE. :) [/quote]

:) i'm finally sitting down today so, even if I'm on the.wrong time zone, i'll share a drink with you.

RBH

Post by RBH » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:05 am

Deep sigh. One of the genuinely good guys. The world is a little darker now. Condolences and comfort to you, Cath.

Febble

Post by Febble » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:40 am

[quote=""Cath B""]Yes, I do like it BWE. :) [/quote]

So do I!

Cath B

Post by Cath B » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:54 am

Thanks for kind words once again everyone. :)

I only had one glass of wine.

Distracted myself with two TV documentaries on untimely deaths - Anne Boleyn and Thomas a'Becket - even though I already knew their stories.

Monad

Post by Monad » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:01 pm

Hi Cath

very sorry to hear about David - he was a great guy

justme

Post by justme » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:44 pm

On the log track of human progression there are those that wish to bar our way and those who wish to speed us along with no thought of the what was occurring all around us. David was one of the bright shining few who gave us the time to rest, catch our breath and become a part of the history we are going through.

We have a place to document the history of our own hearts and minds in the place we now reside and we take that feeling to warm us as we walk through the world outside and are comforted by the fact that we can always return here when the insanity outside becomes too unbearable.

Febble

Post by Febble » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:25 pm

I was wondering about setting up a Facebook Memorial page, with links to CEMB.

It's a good way of getting things around.

Cath B

Post by Cath B » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:34 pm

[quote=""Febble""]I was wondering about setting up a Facebook Memorial page, with links to CEMB.

It's a good way of getting things around.[/quote]

That's a thought.

Best discussed with the folk from CEMB and DMB of course.

I'm not doing it myself but am happy for someone else to do so.

I haven't yet posted an announcement on my Facebook page yet but intend to do so today or tomorrow.

Cath B

Post by Cath B » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:35 pm

Thanks for comments folk.

DMB

Post by DMB » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:11 pm

I have finally got round to posting on the Cranmer blog, as David requested. I hope I got it right and it is what he would have wanted.

DMB

Post by DMB » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:49 pm

[quote=""DMB""]I have finally got round to posting on the Cranmer blog, as David requested. I hope I got it right and it is what he would have wanted.[/quote]

Unfortunately, they have deleted it. David had felt pretty confident that it would be allowed.

Febble

Post by Febble » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:52 pm

Fear does strange things.

ETA: and confidence amazing things....
Last edited by Febble on Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Febble

Post by Febble » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:01 pm

Hang on, this is there....

http://archbishop-cranmer.blogspot.co.uk/

Did they come good?

Author

Post by Author » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:52 pm

I just registered to offer my condolences on your sad loss. David was a valued contributor to the comments section of Jesus & Mo. He will be missed.

DMB

Post by DMB » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:22 pm

[quote=""Febble""]Hang on, this is there....

http://archbishop-cranmer.blogspot.co.uk/

Did they come good?[/quote]

Oh I see. I posted it as a comment, because I couldn't see any way of corresponding otherwise. They deleted my post and took its contents, adding a little bit of their own as well. I am very pleased.

Thanks, Febble for the new link

DMB

Post by DMB » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:28 pm

This is the quote from Cranmer:
It is with great sadness that His Grace reports the death of a longtime communicant upon this blog, known to us all over the years as David B. He died on 27 February 2014, and remained cheerfully himself until the end. His Grace would like to send his condolences to David B's family and friends, and on behalf of all here, sincere thanks and appreciation for streams of wisdom and intelligent comment upon a myriad of topics.

David B will have a Humanist funeral as he had requested. These are his final words for this site:
I comment quite frequently at the Conservative Christian Cranmer blog, where I am known as David B. In fact I have mentioned CEMB there more than once already.

There is much in Cranmer's posts that I disagree with, though I can sometimes find agreement between the two of us - as in the same sort of issue where the Christian Institute and the NSS can lobby together on freedom of speech issues.

For all Cranmer's faults, he has the virtue of tolerating dissent in his comment pages, which I respect.

Within the regular commenters, some enjoy posting a little tongue in cheek, but there are a couple of others who also make the case for liberal secularism, and there is quite a large tranche of the thinking sort of Christian, who is thoughtful and fundamentally decent at heart, along with the sort of Christian represented by the worst sort of side of the Daily Mail letters pages.

On the Cranmer pages. with my secular hat on, I have been trying to overcome prejudice against secularism by explaining (over and over) that it is about the state favouring no religion over any other, not favouring religion over no religion, and not favouring no religion over religion.

I do argue against religious privilege, though. Religious freedom I see as a good thing, but not an absolute good. You can't have people following some of the laws of Sharia or Leviticus, whether they believe they should do so on religious grounds or not. One law for all!

With my atheist hat on, though, I argue that though people should be free to worship as they wish, without undue privilege, they are unwise to do so.

I was diagnosed with bowel cancer in 2012, and had an operation then, followed by chemo in late 2012 and early 2013. The course was never finished, as my reaction to it deteriorated, and it ceased as doing more harm than good.

In early December last year I was rushed to hospital in terrible pain, and, despite hopes that the problem was not cancer related, scans showed small tumours in all the places one really doesn't want them. Kidney, bowel, lungs, liver...

At the moment treatment options are palliative chemo and no palliative chemo. I have made it clear to the medics that I value quality of live above quantity, and I suppose they and I will have to take things as they progress.
Last month David B emailed His Grace and asked him to publicise his wish that, on his passing, people should support the Council of Ex-Muslims of Britain (CEMB).

He asked that anyone who valued him or cared about him should consider supporting this organisation of courageous people. They have set up a David Bleines Tribute so that they can receive donations in his name.

Goodbye, David, thou good and faithful secular-atheist.
There are some commentshere.

Goodchild

Post by Goodchild » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:23 pm

My condolences to you Cath, and to your family and friends of David. David was a pleasure to interact with online, I'm sad to hear that he's passed.

Cath B

Post by Cath B » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:43 pm

[quote=""Author""]I just registered to offer my condolences on your sad loss. David was a valued contributor to the comments section of Jesus & Mo. He will be missed.[/quote]

Many thanks Author.

David would have felt very chuffed that you had come over here to pay your respects.

He loved Jesus and Mo (as do many of us).