DavidB: Tributes

For help in being a non-believer or campaigning for secularism while beset by believers. If believers post here they should remember that this is a support forum. There is also a members-only subforum.
Cath B

DavidB: Tributes

Post by Cath B » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:24 pm

My brother David Bleines, known as David B at Secular Cafe (where he was a founder member and Administrator) and other online discussion boards, died very peacefully just before 9 o'clock this morning GMT - 27th February 2014,.

I'll write more later, but in the meantime I shall quote a post made by DMB a few days ago.

[quote=""DMB""]This might be a good time to remind people that David has expressed a wish that people who care about him should consider making a donation to the Council of Ex-Muslims of Britain. The Council gives much-needed support to apostates from Islam, both in Britain and in the world at large. Apostates at best find themselves in a friendless world and at worst are in mortal danger from fanatics and governments.

If you do support them for David's sake see the donation page here:
For those wishing to contribute to the David B/David Bleines Tribute, please earmark your donation so it can be attributed to him and his wonderful support for CEMB. You can do so via email (exmuslimcouncil@gmail.com) or by adding a note when you send the cheque or make the Paypal donation. Thank you.
[/quote]

Cath B

Post by Cath B » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:31 pm

Thank you all so much for your kind messages which we both appreciated very much.

Politesse

Post by Politesse » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:38 pm

Oh, Cath, I'm so sorry.
"The truth about stories is that's all we are" ~Thomas King

Cath B

Post by Cath B » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:51 pm

Thanks Poli.

BWE

Post by BWE » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:05 pm

Cath, you are a sister to make any brother happy. I only hope to have someone as caring as you when I see my last days.
:hug:

Samnell

Post by Samnell » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:21 pm

I'm sorry, Cath. :( :hug:
I have a blog about nineteenth century America. It's theoretically educational!

justme

Post by justme » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:27 pm

[quote=""Cath B""]My brother David Bleines, known as David B at Secular Cafe (where he was a founder member and Administrator) and other online discussion boards, died very peacefully just before 9 o'clock this morning GMT - 27th February 2014,.[/quote]

I'm speechless!

Pendaric

Post by Pendaric » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:43 pm

All my condolences to you and yours Cath.

Here's to David. A privilege to have known him, even if only online.
fear is the mind killer

Febble

Post by Febble » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:43 pm

Thank you for letting us know, Cath.

You will be bereft :hug:

As will many people.

Febble

Post by Febble » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:43 pm

[quote=""BWE""]Cath, you are a sister to make any brother happy. I only hope to have someone as caring as you when I see my last days.
:hug: [/quote]

Yes.

subsymbolic

Post by subsymbolic » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:57 pm

Cath, I'm terribly sorry to hear David has died, but glad it was peaceful. If there is any way I can help, practical or otherwise, please give me a shout.

phands

Post by phands » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:59 pm

[quote=""Cath B""]My brother David Bleines, known as David B at Secular Cafe (where he was a founder member and Administrator) and other online discussion boards, died very peacefully just before 9 o'clock this morning GMT - 27th February 2014,.

I'll write more later, but in the meantime I shall quote a post made by DMB a few days ago.
DMB;525639 wrote:This might be a good time to remind people that David has expressed a wish that people who care about him should consider making a donation to the Council of Ex-Muslims of Britain. The Council gives much-needed support to apostates from Islam, both in Britain and in the world at large. Apostates at best find themselves in a friendless world and at worst are in mortal danger from fanatics and governments.

If you do support them for David's sake see the donation page here:
For those wishing to contribute to the David B/David Bleines Tribute, please earmark your donation so it can be attributed to him and his wonderful support for CEMB. You can do so via email (exmuslimcouncil@gmail.com) or by adding a note when you send the cheque or make the Paypal donation. Thank you.
[/QUOTE]

I have no words.....just tears.

I'm glad it was peaceful.

Paul
ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Febble

Post by Febble » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:24 pm

I know this isn't an atheist poem/song exactly, but I can't get it out of my head, thinking of those lovely views of Tenby, watching a calm evening with full tide on the webcam, and thinking of the peace Cath has been able to give David.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELp0YvtBUUE

And the second verse in particular is so beautiful:
But such a tide as moving seems asleep,
Too full for sound and foam,
When that which drew from out the boundless deep
Turns again home.

Brother Daniel

Post by Brother Daniel » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:27 pm

condolences (and much respect) to Cath.
an echo of a thought

Peanut

Post by Peanut » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:30 pm

So, the scant supply of sanity in the world is depleted, one clear mind at a time; darkness and madness close in.
We shall greatly miss David!

Swansea_Trace

Post by Swansea_Trace » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:49 pm

Cath I'm so, so sorry. You were wonderful, I don't know how you did it, all that love, patience, compassion, care. He was a good man and in the care he received from you, he got what he deserved - the very best.

I will miss the hell out of you Dave.

Febble

Post by Febble » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:05 pm

I just found what he posted on ninewands' thread:
David B wrote:Thinking of you, 9W. And thinking of your family.

And hoping that I can have something of your grace and courage, when I come to face my own end.

Thanks for the thread - I think that it will be a legacy to all who have read it.

David
And he did.

DMB

Post by DMB » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:11 pm

I only met David once IRL, but it's been a privilege to work with him in setting up and running Secular Café. I grew to love his online persona. He was very wise. I can't measure how much I'll miss him: it's such a big loss.

Cath, I know what it's like to nurse a dying man. I imagine you'll be finding everything hard to take on board. You were so close to David and you must be knocked for six. (Somehow a cricketing metaphor seems appropriate.) You know how to contact me if you want to chat or just have a shoulder to cry on.

crazyfingers

Post by crazyfingers » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:21 pm

Oh my. I will miss him. My condolences Cath. You've been a wonderful sister to him.

neilstone40

Post by neilstone40 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:29 pm

I'm so, so sorry Cath. I never had the fortune to meet David IRL but enjoyed any discussions I had with him here.

I'm glad I had the chance to know just a little of him through his presence here. He always came across as thoughful, intelligent and insightful person, someone worth listening to and with a genuine warmth of character. My only regret is not meeting him tempered with the fact I got to share some enjoyable times in his company here, especially seeing some of his world through his photographs.

Please accept my condolences and know my thoughts are with you and your family just now.
"Live as if you are going to die tomorrow. Learn as if you're going to live forever."
Mahatma Gandhi

DanB

Post by DanB » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:14 pm

[quote=""Cath B""]My brother David Bleines, known as David B at Secular Cafe (where he was a founder member and Administrator) and other online discussion boards, died very peacefully just before 9 o'clock this morning GMT - 27th February 2014,.[/quote]

I'm very sorry to hear this. I liked David B. :(
My intent is always to foster goodwill and fellowship amongst all people and make the world a little better for my having been a part of it.

praxis

Post by praxis » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:20 pm

My sympathies to you and your family, Cath.

Thank you for allowing me to witness as you and David both carried yourselves with grace and dignity throughout this entire ordeal. This isn't over for you, and as you begin your deep reflection in David's memory my sense is that there'll be much to smile on.

Sincerely,
Bob

MattShizzle

Post by MattShizzle » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:28 pm

Sad to hear and seemed sudden.

dug_down_deep

Post by dug_down_deep » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:51 pm

Condolences.
In this book it is spoken of...Spirits and Conjurations; of Gods, Spheres, Planes and many other things which may or may not exist. It is immaterial whether they exist or not. By doing certain things certain results follow. --Aleister Crowley

Cath B

Post by Cath B » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:58 pm

Thank you so much all of you.