Peanut gallery for Foxhole thread

For help in being a non-believer or campaigning for secularism while beset by believers. If believers post here they should remember that this is a support forum. There is also a members-only subforum.
Cath B

Post by Cath B » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:00 pm

I've been comparing the webcam to the view from the window, The reflection from the lights seems different.

Aupmanyav

Post by Aupmanyav » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:39 am

Following your thread. Hope the best for both of you. Convey my greetings to David. Tell him India remembers him. We will celebrate Shav-ratri tomorrow. Not much of public celebration but at homes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5qSdRUBtMc
Mother Parvati's mother (Himalaya's wife) faints when she sees the Groom and friends/servants of Shiva.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt7pARYKUSg
Last edited by Aupmanyav on Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
'Sarve khalu idam Brahma'
All things here are Brahman (physical energy).

Philos

Post by Philos » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:47 am

[quote=""Cath B""]I've been comparing the webcam to the view from the window, The reflection from the lights seems different.[/quote]

David and Cath,

It's a lovely view.

Alex.
'Philosophy is a far cry from reason' Geotima

Cath B

Post by Cath B » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:53 am

Thank you for messages. :)

An out-of-hours doctor came out in the night - another blocked catheter. :(

I'm waiting for his GP to call. David is extremely weak. In pain earlier but reluctant to take more than a little oramorph. He's sleeping peacefully now.

Cath B

Post by Cath B » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:02 pm

Cath B

Post by Cath B » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:12 pm

And another one, different angle, later date than the first:-

http://www.peoplescollectionwales.co.uk/items/12290

Cath B

Post by Cath B » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:47 pm

David hasn't checked email or PMs for quite a while now, maybe up to a week, so if anyone sent him a message you particularly want him to read you might like to PM a copy to me so that I can read it out to him.

Cath B

Post by Cath B » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:29 pm

Green building, top right hand window:-

http://www.luggagetransfers.co.uk/wales ... by&&page=1

Cath B

Post by Cath B » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:39 pm

Turner long ago heard it on Tenby North Shore ......

http://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/tur ... int-d00575

Cath B

Post by Cath B » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:21 pm

A distant and vague memory from when I was three, but talked of afterwards and noted in my mother's diary.

David, aged ten, swam out of his depth to this rock - and then grew frightened that he would get cramp and refused to swim back. Our mother was never seen in the sea, our intrepid seven-year-old sister offered to swim out to fetch David but instead was sent home to fetch our father. He swam out to him, but David still refused to budge.

And then - some friends from school turned up by chance so David, not wanting to seem soft, immediately swam to shore.

Cath B

Post by Cath B » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:42 pm

Woken before four with David agitated, confused and in pain. His catheter was yet again not filling, I phoned the night care team and a doctor not a nurse came to change the catheter and assess David, We discussed medication a bit and he recommended a visit from our local doctor.

In the event it was the well qualified district nurse who came in the daytine. David was sound asleep. We talked about the possibility of providing his current drugs by syringe since David finding taking them orally to be a problem and said he'd call back later.

While he was out a friend called and David woke, breathing patchy, holding hands, eyes sunken, seemed to be fading. But later came to, became a bit more with it

He agreed to the syring plan himself. Same drugs as previously with added mild sedative. This seems to be an amended form of the Liverpool pathway, with doses reviewed daily, possibility of reduced as well as inreased dose, food and drink provided if wished. After the nurses left I left David briefly with the friend while I scooted round to Dad. I tried to prepare him which I found hard.

David's quiet and comfortable now.

Febble

Post by Febble » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:43 pm

[quote=""Cath B""]Green building, top right hand window:-

http://www.luggagetransfers.co.uk/wales ... by&&page=1[/quote]

I thought it must be that one!

Febble

Post by Febble » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:45 pm

[quote=""Cath B""]Woken before four with David agitated, confused and in pain. His catheter was yet again not filling, I phoned the night care team and a doctor not a nurse came to change the catheter and assess David, We discussed medication a bit and he recommended a visit from our local doctor.

In the event it was the well qualified district nurse who came in the daytine. David was sound asleep. We talked about the possibility of providing his current drugs by syringe since David finding taking them orally to be a problem and said he'd call back later.

While he was out a friend called and David woke, breathing patchy, holding hands, eyes sunken, seemed to be fading. But later came to, became a bit more with it

He agreed to the syring plan himself. Same drugs as previously with added mild sedative. this seems to be an amended form of the Liverpool patthway, with doses reviewed daily, possibility of reduced as well as inreased doe, food and drink provided if wished, After the nurses left I left David briefly with the friend while I scooted round to Dad. I tried to prepare him which I found hard.

He's quiet and comfortable now.[/quote]

That must be hard. It's a good pathway, but hard for you all to set foot on I imagine.

:hug:

phands

Post by phands » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:21 pm

All my best wishes and thoughts are with you. :(
ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Rie

Post by Rie » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:20 am

Dear David and Cath... I'm so good with words.. huh! But they can't convey my deepest affection for a long time now to David and you Cath.

Do you remember David how you were hurt by Leonard Cohen once and I saw then how vulnerable you are...even with the wise old man beard! And Cath... do you also remember how I said I was terrified of you and then saw your photo and stopped worrying.

Seems so long ago and I was a real newbie. :sadyes:

Do you know David... I think I'll always be a newbie in my heart.
Love, Rie
"You understand?" said Ponder
"No. I was just hoping that if I didn't say anything you'd stop trying to explain things to me." - Terry Pratchett, The Last Hero

Old Woman in Purple

Post by Old Woman in Purple » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:34 am

((((hugs))))

Cath B

Post by Cath B » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:18 am

Thanks everyone. :)

David has slept soundly and very peacefully all night. i slept well on the floor beside him, waking briefly a couple of times, all quiet. I am calm ande well rested, now eating breakfast.

A calm, bright day.

The nurses will come in daily to monitor David and his medication and change the syringe driver and carers will also call in.

[quote=""Rie""]Do you remember David how you were hurt by Leonard Cohen once and I saw then how vulnerable you are...even with the wise old man beard! [/quote]

I don't remember, what was that story Rie?
And Cath... do you also remember how I said I was terrified of you and then saw your photo and stopped worrying.
Vaguely. :)

Cath B

Post by Cath B » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:31 am

Another view of Tenby as it once was:-

http://janeausteninvermont.wordpress.co ... ony-grant/

Cath B

Post by Cath B » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:05 am

[quote=""Cath B""]
Rie;526850 wrote:Do you remember David how you were hurt by Leonard Cohen once and I saw then how vulnerable you are...even with the wise old man beard!
I don't remember, what was that story Rie?[/QUOTE]

Found it:-

http://www.secularcafe.org/showthread.php?t=16002

Cath B

Post by Cath B » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:29 am

A family story from before my time, heard from my mother and also recorded in her diary.

A few days after David, aged five or six perhaps, went scrambling over rocks at the end of this beach with our Dad there was a landslide: they might easily have been killed if this had happened while they were there

http://www.fbmholidays.co.uk/tenby-north-beach/

David, taken to see the sight, was terribly upset.

"How could God have let this happen?" he kept asking.

A little geologist and atheist in the making.

Cath B

Post by Cath B » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:42 am

This experience did not put David off exploring the rocks.

A few years later he had a nasty cut following a fall on Goscar Rock, featured in the front of the picture above.

Struggling home in pain he tried to keep going by incanting, "It's just a question of mind over matter".

Cath B

Post by Cath B » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:50 am

He often worried our mother by coming home late, (a trend which continued beyond childhood).

One evening, late and wet, he proudly presented her with a gift and peace offering he'd found on the beach - a saucepan with a hole in the base!

DMB

Post by DMB » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:51 am

[quote=""Cath B""]A family story from before my time, heard from my mother and also recorded in her diary.

A few days after David, aged five or six perhaps, went scrambling over rocks at the end of this beach with our Dad there was a landslide: they might easily have been killed if this had happened while they were there

http://www.fbmholidays.co.uk/tenby-north-beach/

David, taken to see the sight, was terribly upset.

"How could God have let this happen?" he kept asking.

A little geologist and atheist in the making.[/quote]

Marvellous story!

:hug:

Lugubert

Post by Lugubert » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:42 am

[quote=""Cath B""]Another view of Tenby as it once was:-

http://janeausteninvermont.wordpress.co ... ony-grant/[/quote]

Would that be St Catherine's Island to the left? Wikipedia says that (today) it's linked to Tenby at low tide. Just yesterday I read in the Western Telegraph that
An historic landmark off the Pembrokeshire coast has attracted 2,500 visitors since it was opened to the public three months ago.

But should further development be allowed on Tenby’s St Catherine’s Island?

Pendaric

Post by Pendaric » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:40 am

Following David's death, the following thread is now open for tributes:

DavidB: Tributes
fear is the mind killer