Peanut gallery for Foxhole thread

For help in being a non-believer or campaigning for secularism while beset by believers. If believers post here they should remember that this is a support forum. There is also a members-only subforum.
Cath B

Post by Cath B » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:30 pm

Someone sent me a PM which got lost when the database error was restored.

I received one from mood2 at 10.47 GMT so it must have been later than that.

Jobar

Post by Jobar » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:48 am

Very glad to hear that the foul weather and flooding hasn't affected you guys too badly. I was offline for 4 days due to my own weather-related problems, and had been hearing about the storms in England from family and friends, and was worried about you more than a little.

Cath B

Post by Cath B » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:03 am

Thanks Jobar. :)

Also to others who've written here and by PM.

In retrospect I think the "missing" PM was probably the one from mood2. I'm guessing the database restore meant that I was no longer showing as having read it.

Cath B

Post by Cath B » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:24 am

David says he's trying to drink but finding it difficult to take much. He sometimes fancies a particular food but finds himself unable to eat it. He's been getting some nausea though hasn't been sick. The doctor was round last week and we also had several telephone consultations. I'll ask her to call again tomorrow.

I looked in on him a couple of times. The first time he was asleep, the second time he was awake and comfortable. He had a few sips of juice and reminded me that he wants a bath later. He's asked a friend to call round and cut his hair afterwards (this is not one of my talents!). He was sleeping again when I came back through after my own bath.

He tried to have a look at Secular Cafe yesterday but didn't have much chance with the site being down.

Cath B

Post by Cath B » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:14 pm

Bath worked out fine though David said he felt afterwards he felt as tired as though he'd run five miles. Friend cut hair, Dave had some oramorph, and we drank tea and chatted, David sleepy but joining in now and then. No breakfast. A few bites of jelly for his lunch, small drinks of tea, juice, milk, lemonade homemade by our visitor ....

David now sleeping.

Cath B

Post by Cath B » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:21 pm

David woke up just as I finished writing that. Tired but not in pain. Dropped off to sleep again.

Cath B

Post by Cath B » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:27 am

David slept well last night and woke feeling comfortable. He found a porridge sachet from a packet brought in by a friend tasted "too artificial": the "natural flavourings" mentioned on the packet were not identified. Later I suggested some yoghurt and jam and he managed a few mouthfuls. He is supposed to eat before taking his steroids. He's finding it tricky to get all his pills and medicine down as well as food and drink so I've requested a home visit from the doctor today. He/she is due any time now. David's dropped off to sleep again.

Cath B

Post by Cath B » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:33 am

David's drinking some tea now.

He asked for water earlier, which is a first, and drank a little.

I've stewed a few peaches in case he fancies some later.

Cath B

Post by Cath B » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:42 am

Earlier today:

The phone to the doctor is always busy first thing especially on a Monday. So after a few attempts I walked down there to book a visit. I then went the long way round to the shops so that I could take a quick walk down by the sea. A little drizzly but calm and mild, and I love to watch the sea in all weather. Bought more yoghurt, some bread, some apples (David ate a sliver yesterday) and then home ...

Cath B

Post by Cath B » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:45 am

I had a mug of tea when David had his, also a slice of coffee cake. Dave might have had some cake too a few days ago, but not wanting any now.

Noticing how good the cake tastes, how refreshing the tea ....

Cath B

Post by Cath B » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:12 pm

^ ^ ^

(Not loaded: 8Tz9vEZNxqA)
(View video on YouTube)

Cath B

Post by Cath B » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:20 pm

SCENE: David staggers back from an unsuccessful visit to the bathroom.

Cath: Have you got a pain?

David: No, just feeling out of sorts.

Cath: Would you like more morphine?

David: No not now.

(Pause)

David: You sound like a PUSHER!

Oolon Colluphid

Post by Oolon Colluphid » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:25 pm

Great to hear he's still got his wit about him :D

One time, when Dad was not able to talk (lung cancer, so breath and hence easy speech went early), we had several nurse-y people all in at once (they're like buses), all standing round the bed. He was half asleep...

"Tom? Tom? Can you hear me?"

There was a twinkle in his eye as he shook his head.
Argumentum ab faecem excogitarem is a fallacy, no matter how inventive you are.

Cath B

Post by Cath B » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:38 pm

A mouthful or two of stewed nectarines and yoghurt for lunch.

The doctor called and said:-
  • Keep taking the tablets.
  • Try to keep drinking, even if only sips.

Jobar

Post by Jobar » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:25 pm

:hug:

Cath B

Post by Cath B » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:19 am

The Doc is very kind BTW, I don't think I put that across.

Also we've been speaking to the same one consistently over the past week or so*. She wasn't the local practice Doc on call for house visits yesterday, but she came nonetheless.

*(except the one time when we needed help in the night when one can only contact a medical practice centralised for the county).

sohy

Post by sohy » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:07 pm

I'm afraid that house visits are pretty much a thing of the past in the US. You are very lucky to have a system like you do. Only the very wealthy, who pay a lot more for the service of their doctors, might get a house visit here.

Hope David will be comfortable today and you will be able to rest a bit.

DMB

Post by DMB » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:02 pm

Do what I'm sure you sometimes did with small children: catch a nap when they do.

Cath B

Post by Cath B » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:37 am

I am well rested physically.

David is weak and I've asked the nurse to call in.

Philos

Post by Philos » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:26 am

Just listening.

Alex.
'Philosophy is a far cry from reason' Geotima

Lugubert

Post by Lugubert » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:42 am

[quote=""sohy""]I'm afraid that house visits are pretty much a thing of the past in the US.[/quote]
House visits aren't normal in Sweden, but during Mother's last years, there was a community supplied doctor, specialized in care for the elderly, who visited on a regular basis and in between when needed.

I'd like to know how much your local administration helps the two of you. Home care personnel, costs etc. Wales seems to be much more generous on regular healthcare and medicine than for example England. Please PM if you feel it's too unrelated to the thread.

You're just ... amazing.

Swansea_Trace

Post by Swansea_Trace » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:06 pm

I'm listening too. And thinking about you both.

Healthcare provision is more or less the same across the UK. There are some regional differences, especially since the advent of the Welsh Assembly Government which was given control of the healthcare budget for Wales in 2006. Certain services are known to be much better in certain areas of the UK, for example my area is good for neo-natal care and has the national centre for sleep apnoeia study. Each health authority has its own priorities which results in what the tabloid press always call a 'postcode lottery' - if you live in a certain area your chances of recovery are going to vary depending on your authority's spending on your particular condition.

Cath B

Post by Cath B » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:11 pm

Thanks for messages.

I've just been reading the announcement made by author Iain Bankslast April after his diagnosis.

It starts off:-
I am officially Very Poorly.
http://www.iain-banks.net/category/from-the-author/

The doctor nurse called and said:-
  • Keep taking the tablets.
  • Try to keep drinking, even if only sips.

Aupmanyav

Post by Aupmanyav » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:06 pm

House visits are very costly in India, unless the doctor is a relative, an acquaintance, or the acquaintance of a relative, and usually, in cities, there is one, whom you can call in emergency.
'Sarve khalu idam Brahma'
All things here are Brahman (physical energy).

Cath B

Post by Cath B » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:50 am

I was anxious to check up on our Dad yesterday once the nurse had left David's flat in case the stair climb and visit the day before had taken too much out of him. He is, of course, upset that David is so ill but was fair chuffed when I told him, truthfully, that he had coped better with David's 64 stairs in his 90s than some of David's friends in their 60s.

I vacuumed his floor, a job I'd been putting off not because it is onerous but because it makes him grumpy.

He said, "That vacuum cleaner should be kept switched off. It's noisy and unnecessary and shouldn't have been invented. I can clean the floor just as well by sweeping it".

I said, "But you never do sweep it and no it wouldn't be as clean" and carried on regardless. He conceded defeat and went for a lie down on his bed.

On my way back a lady who'd run a local sweet shop in my youth recognised me and we had a chat. She passed her regards to David and Dad and said how fond she'd been of my mother who'd taught her children.

Whe I got back David said he'd had a confusing time. Social Services, having been alerted to David's situation, had phoned up with a barrage of questions about what practical support he needs and what financial help he might be entitled to which he felt unable to deal with. Eventually he told them, truthfully, that he felt sick and put the phone down. I'll ring back today though I'm not that great at dealing with bureaucracy myself.
Last edited by Cath B on Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:28 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: typo