The Living Nonreligion Discussion Forum

For help in being a non-believer or campaigning for secularism while beset by believers. If believers post here they should remember that this is a support forum. There is also a members-only subforum.
Lorna Mumford

The Living Nonreligion Discussion Forum

Post by Lorna Mumford » Fri May 04, 2012 1:00 pm

A big thank you to the admin team at the Secular Cafe for allowing me to post this here.

Would you be interested in helping to shape/contributing to academic research exploring what it is like to be nonreligious in Britain?
Do you like contributing to online discussions on topics related to atheism, humanism, secularism, religion and nonreligion?

I am a PhD student at University College London and, as part of my research into the lives and experiences of nonreligious people, I have set up a new online discussion forum.

This forum is designed to be a place where nonreligious people can discuss their opinions and experiences, talk about any concerns they have over the role of religion in society, debate current news topics and share links and ideas.

If you think you might be interested in contributing to this forum please head over to http://livingnonreligion.proboards.com/index.cgi to register and find out more.

If you don’t think the forum is for you but you know someone who might be interested then please do pass along the link.

Please note: Any comments you make in this forum may be used as part of my research. However, no personal or identifying data will be included in any published material resulting from this research. You are not required to supply your real name, and joining the forum does not constitute an obligation or commitment on your part.

Please make sure you have read through the ‘Welcome Note’ on the forum for full details before posting.

If you have any questions please email at lorna.mumford.10@ucl.ac.uk

I hope to see you there!
:)

Barefoot Bree

Post by Barefoot Bree » Fri May 04, 2012 1:47 pm

This is exclusively for people living in Britain, yes?

Good luck with your research, Lorna - and do stick around and join in here, as well, when you get the chance!
There's no such thing as "political correctness". The phrase you're looking for is "Common Decency".
"Said" it? Sink me! She almost SANG it!

Old Woman in Purple

Post by Old Woman in Purple » Fri May 04, 2012 1:48 pm

Any counterpart here in the US?

David B

Post by David B » Fri May 04, 2012 3:13 pm

I think this is a project that is both interesting and worth supporting.

Lorna has behaved most ethically in asking permission to plug her project and board here before doing so, and in making it clear in the link below that permission is needed before using any posts within her project.

On her board it is clear that participants will allow their posts to be used in her research, as shown in her welcome post there http://livingnonreligion.proboards.com/ ... y&thread=1

Should she ask members here by PM is she can use a post in a research, and/or copy/paste a post from here to there then I hope that any such request would be considered sympathetically.

Were it not for my penchant for late night posting, when I am sometimes, as Private Eye might put it, tired and emotional, then I would give her blanket permission, personally.

David

MikeD

Post by MikeD » Wed May 30, 2012 10:20 pm

Lorna -

Are you familiar with the Nonreligion and Secularity Research Network?

http://nsrn.net/
The Nonreligion and Secularity Research Network (NSRN) is an international and interdisciplinary network of researchers founded in 2008. The NSRN aims to centralise existing research on the topic of nonreligion and secularity and to facilitate discussion in this area.
I imagine the folks there would be more than happy to provide their expertise in reviewing your method, and offering tips in finding existing research on your subject and ways to find subjects. They also have a journal, to which you may want to submit your completed research.

http://secularismandnonreligion.org/index.php/snr

Best of luck with your project!

Sagan

Post by Sagan » Wed May 30, 2012 10:36 pm

I will consider this and get back to you tomorrow.