Ray Comfort's banana

How life, the universe and everything got here. God? Nature? Both? Chew it over here. This is also the place for discussing any theories or views which run counter to mainstream science.
DMB

Ray Comfort's banana

Post by DMB » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:51 pm

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat ... ana-video/
The book’s not out until September 1, but Ray Comfort sent me an advance copy of Banana Man. It’s all about his infamous argument about how a banana is the “atheist’s worst nightmare,” and what happened after that video went viral...

...It’s clear that Ray’s biggest frustration with the Banana video is that it wasn’t shown in context.

Here’s what he wanted to do: In the version of the presentation he gives to Christian audiences, he shows a Coke can, explains how it was intelligently designed by humans to contain the liquid, open up nicely (with the tab), fit in your hand, etc.

Then he shows a banana, which is obviously natural, and claims that God designed it.

Without the Coke can prelude in the video, he says (repeatedly) in the book, the “joke” was lost. But there’s no joke. The banana bit was never funny. It was just bad logic. And as many people have pointed out, the banana Ray used in the video is a perfect example of evolution in action. He writes in the book that he knows that, but the whole bit was a last second inclusion in the video, and he grabbed the only banana he could find near the set. He then adds that an original banana would’ve made his point all the same...

...The only really interesting thing I learned from the book was that Kirk Cameron, Ray’s co-host who’s sitting with him in that infamous clip, urged him not to do the banana bit because “atheists would mock [him] for it.”

Ray insisted they include it. Kirk gamely played along. The rest is history.

Jobar

Post by Jobar » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:30 pm

I've read a number of Neil Carter's blog articles from that site. Quite impressive. One in particular has had me thinking about Christianity more than I have for several months; Shame on you for thinking prayer does anything. In fact I may start a new thread about it.

Tubby

Post by Tubby » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:44 pm

[quote=""Jobar""]Shame on you for thinking prayer does anything. [/quote]
Step 1: Trivialize people’s heartfelt cries for help as if we’re spoiled children asking for toys.
One of our theist members assured us earlier this year that his deity is "not a vending machine." Granted, that individual is comfortable tossing into his trash can a number of scriptural principles.

Hope you start that thread.

Jackrabbit

Post by Jackrabbit » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:05 am

Apparently Ray Comfort is bananas. (Well, we already knew that.)
Moe: "Why don't you get a toupee with some brains in it?" <whack!>

Wizofoz

Post by Wizofoz » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:17 am

I wonder if Kirk learnt from his own experience of being mocked after invoking the Crocoduck!!
When it comes to truth, there is no "Opposing opinion"

JamesBannon

Post by JamesBannon » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:58 am

I thought he still used that one.
There you go with them negative waves ... Why can't you say something righteous and beautiful for a change? :grouphug:

Sey

Post by Sey » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:19 pm

I'd like to see him explain a pomegranate. Now there's a conundrum.

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:15 pm

Oh, the thought of him sticking a pineapple in his mouth to prove god's wisdom and "intelligent design".

Jobar

Post by Jobar » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:43 pm

[quote=""Tubby""]
Jobar;669705 wrote:Shame on you for thinking prayer does anything.
Step 1: Trivialize people’s heartfelt cries for help as if we’re spoiled children asking for toys.
One of our theist members assured us earlier this year that his deity is "not a vending machine." Granted, that individual is comfortable tossing into his trash can a number of scriptural principles.

Hope you start that thread.[/QUOTE]

Done. :)
On the difficulty of maintaining sincere Christian belief