Flat Earth

How life, the universe and everything got here. God? Nature? Both? Chew it over here. This is also the place for discussing any theories or views which run counter to mainstream science.
jwrailey

Flat Earth

Post by jwrailey » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:33 pm

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:04 pm

Jerome! Will you ever give up?

Jobar

Post by Jobar » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:20 pm

Not Jerome, Hermit. I know the guy personally, he's a longtime friend.

Jobar

Post by Jobar » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:37 pm

Re that video- one of the other vids linked to there is this one.

(Not loaded: CuwjWZV8EA0)
(View video on YouTube)

It gives a pretty good response the the flat earthers; when you're at the top of a skyscraper, or a tall mountain, why does the sun set later than it does at the base of it?

And here's a video that answers all the questions in the flat earth vid.

(Not loaded: NKiI5k-_iaU)
(View video on YouTube)

Jobar

Post by Jobar » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:47 am

And here's a picture of Earth taken by the Hubble Space Telescope. One of a great many.

Tubby

Post by Tubby » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:50 am

[quote=""Jobar""]And here's a video that answers all the questions in the flat earth vid.[/quote]

He doesn't mention atmospheric refraction in connection with seeing a Hawaiian island from another island. I suspect that is an additional factor in how much of the island is visible. That type of refraction delays sunset by a few minutes, i.e. appears to elevate the solar disk up higher above the horizon, I've read over the years and I just found this page as well.

Jobar

Post by Jobar » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:12 pm

Slight correction- I think that last picture is one taken from the HST, not by it. Probably from one of the various repair & maintenance missions flown by the space shuttle. The HST has cameras that are called 'wide field', but they still take a picture of a quite small slice of the visual field, and so couldn't get that much of the sky.

However, there are lots of pictures of Earth taken from orbit. Just go to Google Earth, and you probably can see your own home from space! In fact, if you go to 'Community' here at the Secular Cafe, and click on 'Google map', you can probably zoom in enough to see your own car, if it was parked in the open within the past several months.

Jeff, if you have any specific questions about that flat-earth video, feel free to ask them. If I can't give you a detailed answer, there are many here who can.

Jobar

Post by Jobar » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:28 am

This fits better in C&AS, so I'm moving it.

Tubby

Post by Tubby » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:53 am

I didn't notice Jobar's link addressing a claim in the O.P. about the artificial horizon on a airplane not "rolling back" on a long flight. I have a couple of speculative ideas of what is going on there, but I will refrain from saying them in hopes that someone who has detailed knowledge of this device will say something about it.

Jobar

Post by Jobar » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:48 am

Some while back, Wizofoz, who is a professional pilot, gave a long explanation of how gyros work in aircraft- to Jerome, as fate would have it. See http://www.secularcafe.org/showthread.p ... post640192, and later posts.