Star Trek- Discovery

For books, music, movies, TV shows, etc.
Wizofoz

Star Trek- Discovery

Post by Wizofoz » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:25 am

Yep!!!!

Promising start with the first two episodes.
When it comes to truth, there is no "Opposing opinion"

Peanut

Post by Peanut » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:55 pm

A review
First: As a sci-fi/action drama, Star Trek: Discovery is nearly unparalleled. The story is intense, the writing is engaging, the cinematography is gorgeous, the special effects are top-notch, the cast is convincing and the pacing is brisk.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/star-tre ... 00193.html

and my own paraphrase: The story is confusing; the writing is obscure; the cinematography is way too flashy, as are the special effects; the cast all speak so fast and soft under too much music that the dialogue is incomprehensible and the pacing is frantic.
The show has to reassure two (or three) generations of older fans that the 23rd-century Federation is still something they want to follow
Nope.

crazyfingers

Post by crazyfingers » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:54 pm

I'll preface my comments by first saying that I've been a Trekker since Star Trek TOS was first aired. I was 6 years old and my dad watched it and so did I. I have all the DVDs.

I loved TNG and recorded every episode on VHS when it aired. I also recorded every episode of Voyager when they came out. I was slow to warm up to DS9. I never actually watched them when they aired but I had heard about the Dominion War and so about 10 years ago I purchased the whole series on DVD and at this moment I'd say that DS9 is my favorite of the series.

When Enterprise came out I watched the first half season and got tired of it. But then several years later I purchased the DVDs for all 4 seasons and like them a lot.

So I have every episode of all 5 series on DVD at this time and we watch them at diner time almost every night with my kids.

I liked the movies a lot with the glaring exception of Into Darkness. I truly hate that movie. Klingon DNA does not change just because Nero Shrimp came back in time to kill Kirk's father. And it's too dark for me to be Star Trek. And Star Trek officers do not wear military style hats!

So here i am at the beginning of series 6. I really, really hope that I like it.

We watched the first episode by screen mirror on my phone. That was not terribly successful. My phone wasn't up to the task of steaming and mirroring at the same time. Last night we streamed and mirrored to the TV using my newer and more powerful tablet. That was much better. I was greatly distracted trying to watch the first episode. Constant stops to buffer. Video and audio out of sync. And I had to make dinner for the family so could only watch through the hallway from the kitchen to the living room much of the time. Last night for episode 2 I have fewer distractions.

But WTF is with the Klingons? We've tried to rationalize their looks by considering that in that time period they all put war paint on their bodies and shaved their heads. These are not the Klingons we know from TNG and DS9. I'd prefer the Klingons be the Klingons from DS9/TNG and not follow some J.J. Abrams hacked up rewrite of Klingon DNA.

As for the plots of the two first episodes, admittedly I was often distracted, I have no real idea what the plot was beyond the Klingons and Federation appear to be at the beginning of a war and the captain and first officer had some serious arguments. I suppose I'll need to watch them again some evening without distractions.

My kids aged 14, 15 and 16 loved the first two episodes but they are sill more impressed by special effects than by the story. There is not doubt that we will watch every episode this season whether I end up liking it or not.

I may try screen mirroring with my Windows 10 notebook next time. Even when using my more powerful Android tablet last night there were a few buffering issues and the CBS app crashed twice.

I'm not keen that I have to pay a $5.99 monthly fee AND watch the commercials. But I'm not interested in paying $9.99 plan for what CBS describes as "fewer" commercials. Having read several fairly lukewarm to negative reviews of the All Access service, I hear that the reduction in the number of commercials is not very great.

At this time I'd say that I have mixed feelings about Star Trek Discovery. We'll keep watching and hopefully I'll warm up to it like it took time for me to warm up to DS9 and Enterprise.

crazyfingers

Post by crazyfingers » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:44 pm

Why were they pronouncing Sarek, Serek?

Peanut

Post by Peanut » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:47 pm

Crazyfingers, do you have Babylon 5?
We just finished watching the whole series for the third time around (one episode per day). My So thinks it's the best of its kind, but I'm still loyal to the brand and my real home is DS9.
I have no use for the juvie prequel movies, but can tolerate Enterprise because... well, T'Pol and Dr. Phlox are pretty good stand-ins for the best Voyager characters... and there's a dowg.

MattShizzle

Post by MattShizzle » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:11 pm

The only ones I have watched every episode are TOS (I think - I'm assuming over years of watching it in syndication I've seen them all. I wasn't born when it aired) and Enterprise. I missed the first season or so of TNG. I saw most of DS9 and maybe half of Voyager. None of any other (assuming there were any other besides this one.) From what I'm hearing this one isn't so good. What time period does it take place in? An I understand it's (without this one) Enterprise - TOS - TNG - DS9/Voyager (as I understood they took place about the same time.)

crazyfingers

Post by crazyfingers » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:18 pm

[quote=""MattShizzle""]The only ones I have watched every episode are TOS (I think - I'm assuming over years of watching it in syndication I've seen them all. I wasn't born when it aired) and Enterprise. I missed the first season or so of TNG. I saw most of DS9 and maybe half of Voyager. None of any other (assuming there were any other besides this one.) From what I'm hearing this one isn't so good. What time period does it take place in? An I understand it's (without this one) Enterprise - TOS - TNG - DS9/Voyager (as I understood they took place about the same time.)[/quote]

Star Trek Discovery is said to take place about 10 years before the time of TOS. I don't know how they are handling J.J. Abrams messing up of the timeline.

crazyfingers

Post by crazyfingers » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:22 pm

[quote=""Peanut""]Crazyfingers, do you have Babylon 5?
[/quote]

I don't. I have heard lots of good stuff about it but never did get up the interest to buy a season of DVDs. You think that I should?

MattShizzle

Post by MattShizzle » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:54 pm

[quote=""crazyfingers""]
MattShizzle;677282 wrote:The only ones I have watched every episode are TOS (I think - I'm assuming over years of watching it in syndication I've seen them all. I wasn't born when it aired) and Enterprise. I missed the first season or so of TNG. I saw most of DS9 and maybe half of Voyager. None of any other (assuming there were any other besides this one.) From what I'm hearing this one isn't so good. What time period does it take place in? An I understand it's (without this one) Enterprise - TOS - TNG - DS9/Voyager (as I understood they took place about the same time.)
Star Trek Discovery is said to take place about 10 years before the time of TOS. I don't know how they are handling J.J. Abrams messing up of the timeline.[/QUOTE]

If he screws up Star Wars like that he should be referred to as Jar Jar Abrams.

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:13 am

I am not impressed so far. I might give it a couple of episodes more to see if it improves.

Peanut

Post by Peanut » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:06 am

[quote=""crazyfingers""]
Peanut;677280 wrote:Crazyfingers, do you have Babylon 5?
I don't. I have heard lots of good stuff about it but never did get up the interest to buy a season of DVDs. You think that I should?[/QUOTE]
If you like your sf stories long and complex.

I rather missed my familiar aliens, but there are some good new ones in B5 - even a couple that are not human-looking! The spaceships are varied and appropriate to their owners. (Love the Starfuries!) Of course, they still all speak English, walk in same gravity and most of the females still wear skirts and sleep in black underthingies.... but some of them are really fetching in 1940's fashion.

There's some quasi-Shakespearean speechifying, but generally the writing is high quality, and so is the acting. There are a lot of engaging characters and a number of secondary and tertiary story-lines that held my attention.

Plenty of shooting and explosions, of course.

prideandfall

Post by prideandfall » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:49 pm

watched the first two episodes, immediate reaction was kind of "meh" and then the more time that passed and the more i chewed on it the more i hate this crap.

so let me preface all this by saying two things real quick:
1. i am not a nostalgia junkie and i don't cling to things and want them to be a certain way because "that's how they used to be" and,
2. i understand the marketing angle to brand recognition and why you'd want to slap a known property name onto something to get instant consumer appeal.

so here's the thing:
star trek was a show with a theme for a very long time, and that theme had to do with the utopian future of the human race, of mankind coming together and becoming better than our base and petty earth-bound animal history.
if you map it out broadly the 4 primary series (TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY) each had an arc which worked within the theme.

in TOS you had a sort of gritty frontier vibe and while the crew sometimes squabbled they were always trying to come together for the greater good, this is like the 'growing up' stage of the dawn of human utopian civilization, working out the kinks but it has a plan and it's working towards it.

in TNG you had the more mature version of this vision, the crew never quarreled with each other, everyone worked together towards one goal.
if you look back at how much of TNG was diplomatic missions and the central conflict being negotiation and conflict resolution it's kind of astonishing.

DS9 was where the ideals that were first striven for in TOS and attained in TNG were challenged - where a largely secular body had to deal with a deeply spiritual culture, of racial strife, of war... DS9 had a much grimmer tone but at the time it was the outlier of the franchise, it was meant to be darker and antagonistic because it was acting as a crucible for the ideals set up within the series.

VOY was similar, but instead of having those ideals directly confronted it examined if those ideals held up in a completely detached and alien environment, finding out if you can hang on to your principles devoid of the context in which those principles were formed, and how you have to compromise in order to survive.

the big problem with the ST franchise overall within the scope of its media presence and place within the popular culture is that the movies post Generations totally lost sight of any of star trek's themes or understanding of action being a contrast to idealism, and just made ST another sci-fi action popcorn flick, and as they went on they kept getting dumber and dumber.
first contact is a giant ball of utter horseshit, insurrection and nemesis were utter dumpster fires, the reboot was like 1 ounce of potentially decent idea mixed in with 97 gallons of hot badger piss, into darkness was possibly the worst movie i have ever seen in my life, and i never saw beyond because fool me twice go fuck yourself.

anyways, the point of all this long rambling crap is this:
ST: discovery isn't star trek in any sort of thematic way, nor in any recognizable story sense.
it's just "generic space war bullshit show #915" but with the name 'star trek' slapped on it to try and fool people into watching it, because god knows there isn't fuck-all in the show itself to merit enough interest to pay for yet another subscription service.
Last edited by prideandfall on Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peanut

Post by Peanut » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:48 pm

[quote=""prideandfall""]
so here's the thing:
star trek was a show with a theme for a very long time, and that theme had to do with the utopian future of the human race, of mankind coming together and becoming better than our base and petty earth-bound animal history.
if you map it out broadly the 4 primary series (TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY) each had an arc which worked within the theme.

....if you look back at how much of TNG was diplomatic missions and the central conflict being negotiation and conflict resolution it's kind of astonishing.[/quote]
... as were the number of episodes exploring the same [predictable enough from an oldster's p.o.v., but quite adequately treated] philosophical issues for the benefit of a next generation of young viewers.
ST: discovery isn't star trek in any sort of thematic way, nor in any recognizable story sense.
it's just "generic space war bullshit show #915" but with the name 'star trek' slapped on it to try and fool people into watching it, because god knows there isn't fuck-all in the show itself to merit enough interest to pay for yet another subscription service.
Amen, Brother!

crazyfingers

Post by crazyfingers » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:38 am

We watched the 3rd episode this evening. The kids liked it. I didn't. Not star trek at all. No likeable charachers except perhaps the ensign room mate. A lot of the characters were dinks.

I expect that because the kids like it we will watch every episode but so far I don't like it.

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:28 am

[quote=""crazyfingers""]We watched the 3rd episode this evening. The kids liked it. I didn't. Not star trek at all. No likeable charachers except perhaps the ensign room mate. A lot of the characters were dinks.

I expect that because the kids like it we will watch every episode but so far I don't like it.[/quote]

Not sure we watched the same show. I didn't think much of Episodes one and two but three was much better. I liked the new Captain, Lorca.

I couldn't stand the room-mate though. She was super annoying. I hope they smash her aspirations on the head and turn her cynical and bitter. (Not likely though.)

Copernicus

Post by Copernicus » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:16 pm

Regrettably, we don't subscribe to CBS All Access. I'm not going to pay $6/month just to watch this show. I'll get the DVD from the library when it comes out.