Video of North Korea

For books, music, movies, TV shows, etc.
lpetrich

Video of North Korea

Post by lpetrich » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:36 pm

Watch this incredible, rare video of the streets of North Korea's capital city - Vox
he video is roughly 12 minutes of raw footage he captured on April 18 as he was traveling in a minibus from downtown Pyongyang, the country’s capital, toward the airport. “I shot it openly through the windshield, and nobody told me not to film,” Mäkeläinen told me.

It is, as he puts it in his Finnish-language Facebook post, a “rare delicacy”:
(the inlined video itself)
There is a ton of weird and interesting stuff in the video: the hulking Soviet-style concrete apartment blocks painted in pastel pink and green; the brightly colored propaganda billboards randomly posted on the side of the road; the Three Revolution Exhibition that looks like a cross between Epcot Center and the planet Saturn; and the imposing Tower of Immortality — one of the 3,200 memorial obelisks built around the country after the 1994 death of Kim Il Sung, who was named the country’s “Eternal President.”

But what’s most striking about the video is how, well, normal everything looks.

Politesse

Post by Politesse » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:50 pm

But what’s most striking about the video is how, well, normal everything looks.
It generally is so.
"The truth about stories is that's all we are" ~Thomas King

Tubby

reminds me

Post by Tubby » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:53 pm

The other day a coworker and I wondered if there are international boundaries on dry land where the side of the street to drive on changes.

Politesse

Post by Politesse » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:11 pm

[quote=""Tubby""]The other day a coworker and I wondered if there are international boundaries on dry land where the side of the street to drive on changes.[/quote]

The Tibet-Nepal Friendship Bridge comes to mind; a friend of mine posed for a selfie on the red line marking the point of transition.

Tubby

Post by Tubby » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:37 pm

[quote=""Politesse""]
The Tibet-Nepal Friendship Bridge comes to mind; a friend of mine posed for a selfie on the red line marking the point of transition.[/quote]

I'm looking for that on Google Earth.

Politesse

Post by Politesse » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:44 pm

Tubby wrote:I'm looking for that on Google Earth.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sino- ... 85.9640438

DMB

Post by DMB » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:49 pm

The roads look pretty empty for a capital city.

See this for example:

https://www.shutterstock.com/video/clip ... DQ:1:63/gg

Tubby

Post by Tubby » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:41 am

[quote=""Politesse""]https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sino- ... 85.9640438[/quote]

Big gorge, small stream. Very scenic place.

27d 58' 25" N
85d 57' 51" E
Last edited by Tubby on Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tubby

Post by Tubby » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:36 am

Someone's comment at a yahoo dot com article is along the lines of what I've been thinking---
I would prefer China handle the petty dictator and just annex North Korea into another Chinese land grab. Maybe if they get some more land they will quiet down for a bit about Taiwan. Think of all those grateful North Koreans that would gladly take Chinese Communism over a idiot spoiled tyrant.

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:10 pm

[quote=""Tubby""]Someone's comment at a yahoo dot com article is along the lines of what I've been thinking---
I would prefer China handle the petty dictator and just annex North Korea into another Chinese land grab. Maybe if they get some more land they will quiet down for a bit about Taiwan. Think of all those grateful North Koreans that would gladly take Chinese Communism over a idiot spoiled tyrant.
[/quote]It would decrease the chances of the USA coming to blows with China in the short term, but the latter's desire for expanding will not stop there. Look at what the Chinese government is doing in the South China Sea right now. And it is in the process of building its third aircraft carrier - a tool for expansionism if ever I saw one.

Tubby

Post by Tubby » Fri May 12, 2017 5:48 am

Mention is made of a gray market economy. The shops look immaculate, but there is a staged feel to them in these pictures.

Tubby

Post by Tubby » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:21 pm

Other countries might not be able to knock out NK missiles, but at least they would know from tracking equpment the departure country of the missiles. How long until NK has submarines which can launch missiles with a degree of anonymity?

Tubby

Post by Tubby » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:12 am

[quote=""Tubby""]How long until NK has submarines which can launch missiles with a degree of anonymity?[/quote]

I just saw this, which says NK already has those kind of submarines.

Tubby

Post by Tubby » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:05 pm

Some comments here hypothesize (as I did while reading the article) that NK's leader may use a body double.