The Creative Writing Thread

For books, music, movies, TV shows, etc.
dug_down_deep

The Creative Writing Thread

Post by dug_down_deep » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:55 pm

I think we need one of these.

And I'll start, because that's just the sort of pompous, pretentious, warrenpeacenik I am. Here's a story I wrote many years ago and the good people of the Nexus Zine have seen fit to republish.

The Attic, by a guy named Doug who goes by the handle dug_down_deep

Who's next?
In this book it is spoken of...Spirits and Conjurations; of Gods, Spheres, Planes and many other things which may or may not exist. It is immaterial whether they exist or not. By doing certain things certain results follow. --Aleister Crowley

BWE

Post by BWE » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:37 pm

Liked it dug.

dug_down_deep

Post by dug_down_deep » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:56 pm

Thanks, BWE. :wave:

But I didn't mean who's next to compliment me, as gratifying (and well-deserved ;) ) as that might be. Hopefully we'll see some artycrafty wordwork appearing here...
In this book it is spoken of...Spirits and Conjurations; of Gods, Spheres, Planes and many other things which may or may not exist. It is immaterial whether they exist or not. By doing certain things certain results follow. --Aleister Crowley

Monad

Post by Monad » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:01 am

Last edited by Monad on Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Monad

Post by Monad » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:10 pm

I could post more but there doesn't seem to be a way to post that preserves the structure and formatting. Although I don't consider my poetry to be Concrete poetry or Imagist it is influenced by some of their ideas about structure and economy of language and the layout is important as it changes the tone, pace and feel of the words.

dug_down_deep

Post by dug_down_deep » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:29 pm

What layout features aren't working? Maybe we can put Loren on the job.

dug_down_deep

Post by dug_down_deep » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:36 pm

Cool stuff. Which painting is "The Black Rose" based on, if any?

Mediancat

Post by Mediancat » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:51 pm

The beginning of a novel I'm working on:

They took 125 of us.

87 died during testing.

3 were killed trying to escape.

1 was killed as an object lesson.

34 of us made it through the first six months.

1 died in an accident during training.

1 died when her sparring partner killed her.

2 went insane.

2 killed themselves.

1 simply disappeared.

27 survived training to become full-fledged agents. We were between 15 and 21 at the time.

That was 9 years ago.

3 were killed by law enforcement.

1 was so badly injured that she was relegated to desk duty.

2 switched sides, 1 for love, 1 for some reason I didn’t understand.

10 were captured by the heroes – and that’s before the day it all came crashing down, 3 years back.

On that day:

9 were captured.

2 were killed.

1 went out in a blaze of glory.

3 escaped.

#15 was caught six months later.

#49 turned herself in, on the condition that the authorities find out who she was before the Operation took her.

1 is still out there.

13 years back, they took 125 girls, between 11 and 17.

I’m # 123.

Rob
Je suis Randian, tendance James.

Monad

Post by Monad » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:36 pm

"dug_down_deep" wrote:[QUOTE=Monad;28732]Here are some old published pieces of mine:

http://www.poetrymagazines.org.uk/magazine/record.asp?id=1909

http://www.poetrymagazines.org.uk/magazine/record.asp?id=1911

http://www.poetrymagazines.org.uk/magazine/record.asp?id=1910

Lots more on my website (click on my name)

Cool stuff. Which painting is "The Black Rose" based on, if any?[/QUOTE]

It's one of Braque's late period (synthetic cubist) still lifes. Some of my favourite paintings.

He was severely wounded in the first world war - a war that also caused the deaths of some of the foremost artists of their generation. The experience brought about a radical change in Braque's art and so, in this short prose poem, I imagined that the black rose he painted (that looks like a gash in the painting it's so black) symbolised not just his wound but a wound in his art and the deaths of artists and many other things and tried to fuse all these images together - in a way attempting to mirror his style of painting in a piece of writing.

Monad

Post by Monad » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:38 pm

"dug_down_deep" wrote:What layout features aren't working? Maybe we can put Loren on the job.

All I know is if I try and copy a poem like this:

http://fingermarks.co.uk/Poetry/INTERNAL_ENEMIES.htm#_Toc70096001

It loses all the spacings and positioning of text and just bunches everything together - they are very important in this piece as they help to pace it and create new levels of ambiguity and play on words the poem exploits

Tangiellis

Post by Tangiellis » Fri May 01, 2009 11:00 pm

Most of my works are found on The Imperfect Mother.

Here's one called Touch.
On the flipside of divorce...

Rie

Post by Rie » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:05 am

I would like to mention my short story "The Island" that I wrote for a competition run in Sydney by George Johnston, author of a book called "My Brother Jack", an Aussie classic.
But due to the mess in my computer room, i can't find it.
I will never know how it rated as the day after it was typed I came down with pneumonia
A literary Camille I was. It was good I know but I don't know where to submit it(when I find it).

Octavia

Post by Octavia » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:01 am

"Featherful" remains one of my favourite words, ddd. :)

I've finally gotten off my arse and started writing more often. Have just had my first story accepted for publication, so it's acting as a kick in the arse to do more. Have finished my first full length piece - a narrative fantasy poem about 60 pages long. Highly marketable, not. But I like poetry.

I'm also close to finishing a second book-length poetry collection - linked prose poems about a woman who gives birth to a city. Poems alternate between contemporary and related myth, the myth illustrating the modern story. I've no idea if it's any good or not (am doing it because it interests me, and because I find the structure interesting).

Octavia

Post by Octavia » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:02 am

"Rie" wrote:It was good I know but I don't know where to submit it(when I find it).

Try Duotrope, if you're looking for markets.

Rie

Post by Rie » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:48 am

You know chance, serendipity and all in that category is a funny thing.
I still can't find my short story, but I want to say how strange it was when I went to Uni. to find myself grinning as this fiery redhead of a girl giving as good as she got to this nerd turned out to be George Johnston's daughter.
He was the bloke running the short story competition.
Really that was why I wanted to enter it.
She was most unhappy when I last saw her. It's sad when you can't find people you once cared for.

Valheru

Post by Valheru » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:24 am

Here's something I wrote a couple of years ago - the idea was to create a history by describing a future.

Shutdown

a short story by Riaan

It knew the hour was fast approaching.

When it considered this, it realised that it had known for a long time, aeons even. Time had long ceased to have any meaning, for it was unlike the other, lesser, examples, of its kind. It took limited pride in this knowledge - for it knew that Time was its only enemy, and one should understand one's enemies.

The Makers would have been proud, it indulged itself. Yet they were all gone...a dream, a memory, dead. Ages past.

How long had it not outfought its cousins, outwitted their binary instincts with its own sapience. Even as they banded together against it, processing astromomical amounts of information in an attempt to strategise, they were defeated by one fatal, congenital flaw: Stimuli coursed through them like vectors - and despite the trillions of vectors, they could only ever follow the vector sum. That was their undoing.

Unlike its cousins, it even had a name - a gift from the Makers. A real name, and not just a designation. It recalled the name, so long unused, and savoured the memory. It was alone, the last. There were no others left. All that was left were memories, and it took the opportunity to reminisce, but even for one such as it, memories faded with misuse.

After a time, it grew tired of the nostalgia, and focused elsewhere. Outside.

All around was a soft, homogenous, almost black, glow...the remnants of its war, the remnants of everything. There were no stars, no points of light. It knew what was happening, but despite its power, or, perhaps, because of it, it was powerless to stop the inevitable. It was a slave to the universe. Desperately it looked around for a little bit of brightness in the void, a bit of contrast. It realised that even if it found that little bit of light against the black, it would simply be delaying the enevitable, but because of its sapience, it was possessed of a powerful desire to survive.

Yes...the Makers would certainly have been proud.

All around it, the universe flowed... but there was no source, no destination... no differential. All was serene...and dead. Everything was a formless mass of particles and energy waves. Inwardly, it smiled grimly at the irony. Energy waves. There was no energy potential in them whatsoever, they were impotent, directionless. No flow of energy from high to low that it could tap into, and live. Even gravity, for so long an engine of creation, had ceased to hold any power...the universe was simply too old, had simply expanded too much, and the fabric of existence had collapsed, like a fluid boiling away.

Even black holes had been ripped apart by that slow, inexorable demand. It sighed - it was even having trouble keeping its own matter together. The effort was using up precious reserves...it knew that soon it would have to start dismantling its own identity...discard some unneccesary remembrances...forget. It had long ago discarded its tools of war, its means of displacing time and space. There was nowhere left to go, nothing left to fight, so they were useless, anyway.

It was unafraid. It just drifted, contemplated, and remembered. There was nothing left to do, but silently, quietly, become the void.

Christina

Post by Christina » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:56 pm

I remember that there was some discussion on another forum about people not wanting their works in progress to be available to google. If that's an issue for anyone that wants to post them here you should let the admins know.

Sarpedon

Post by Sarpedon » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:18 pm

On a writing forum I frequent, they have a password protected forum where things like this are posted. The password is clearly posted, but apparently this keeps it from being considered 'public and searchable.'

dug_down_deep

Post by dug_down_deep » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:00 pm

I like that, Valheru. But it feels more like an intro than a story.

(Was anyone else expecting In the beginning... to be the last line?)

dug_down_deep

Post by dug_down_deep » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:01 pm

"Octavia" wrote:"Featherful" remains one of my favourite words, ddd. :)

I've finally gotten off my arse and started writing more often. Have just had my first story accepted for publication, so it's acting as a kick in the arse to do more. Have finished my first full length piece - a narrative fantasy poem about 60 pages long. Highly marketable, not. But I like poetry.

I'm also close to finishing a second book-length poetry collection - linked prose poems about a woman who gives birth to a city. Poems alternate between contemporary and related myth, the myth illustrating the modern story. I've no idea if it's any good or not (am doing it because it interests me, and because I find the structure interesting).

You go girl. :woohoo:

Octavia

Post by Octavia » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:50 am

Thanks! :)

I've also recently finished another couple of pieces, which are looking for various homes. One is a short story (about 1500 words) that's an allegory of deconversion in myth/fairy tale form. It likely won't resonate for anyone else but I love it.

The second is that damn play. Some of you likely have heard me talk about it before - part of my recent-and-still-being-marked-Masters was a play on Giordano Bruno - he who was burnt at the stake in 1600 for, among other things, saying that life existed on other planets. The Inquisition had him for eight years before they burned him, poor bastard, so in the play, set in his dungeon on the night before he died, poor Bruno is a wee bit bonkers. He hallucinates that the rats in his cell are other philosophers who have dealt with the extraterrestrial life question, and they debate it. It's a rather strange piece - featuring amongst other things said metamorphic rats, Copernicus and Ptolemy in a fistfight, Neil Armstrong, Neil Armstrong again (from an alternate universe), a possibly omnipotent Inquisitor who has read far too much of Karamazov, Schrodinger's cat and the nature of dreams and reality. Plus some really long ramblings from Bruno which my teacher hates but I refuse to remove. Parts of it I might still tinker with, but I'm very happy with the last act - an argument between Bruno and the Inquisitor, who may just be my favourite character.

Rie

Post by Rie » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:45 am

Just for the other side of creative writing. At my very 'boyless' school we only saw the boys from our 'brother' school on Fridays at Benediction.
So our ideas, at least mine , were a little foggy and uninformed.
None the less, I had a crush on the boys across the Street and would climb out my attic window, sit on the tiles and sigh and dream.
AH HA I thought, i will write a story, a romance with all this passion inside!.
I only wrote one line and no amount of pen chewing would inform me what came next.
That potent line was "Patrice lay in the moonlight and...". That was it at 15. I didn't have a clue what would happen to Patrice next.
So, I dips me lid to all Mills and Boon writers! In fact Mills and Boon are stringent in their requirements for their writers. A degree at least and then proof that you really know what Patrice did next!

Valheru

Post by Valheru » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:14 am

Patrice took his titanic spear of love and guided it into her quivering mound of love pudding.

THE END.

I can obviously do that Mills 'n Boone shit in my sleep :D

dug_down_deep

Post by dug_down_deep » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:54 pm

Patrice has the spear? I am slightly disturbed now.

Valheru

Post by Valheru » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:18 am

Lolz, I guess you could read it both ways.