The How To Embed A Friggin' You Tube Video Public Information Service Thread

For books, music, movies, TV shows, etc.
Matty

The How To Embed A Friggin' You Tube Video Public Information Service Thread

Post by Matty » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:43 am

Right, lets say we want to embed a particular video, Fat Freddys Drop - The Nod for example. But we might be a bit technically challenged or simply new to the place and dont know how this vb stuff works very well. Its dead simple really. So the Blue Peter notes are as follows because embedding the video is way better than posting a link (even if DavidB disagrees :) )

1)Its easiest to do this with the video you want open in another tab. in the case of the FFDrop song, it is at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nafP1JZGnCE
2)Now on your sec cafe thread page of interest, at the bottom of the page hit the "go advanced" button under the reply box.
3)Check the top right corner for a little Image tab. you'll need it in a sec.
4)Copy and paste the url of the you tube video of interest to the reply box. YOu can do this either with the full url at the top of the page, or using the "share" button located under the video. As i said in this case

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nafP1JZGnCE

5)Delete everything up to and including the = symbol (so http://www.youtube.com/watch?v= ), the remaining letters and numbers, nafP1JZGnCE in this case, are the YT video address.

6) Highlight that by right clicking and dragging the cursor over the nafP1JZGnCE and then hit the little Image button you noted earlier.

7) Notice how it surrounds your video address with [ YOUTUBE] [ /YOUTUBE] tags?. You are done.

8) Hit submit post. Enjoy.

(Not loaded: nafP1JZGnCE)
(View video on YouTube)

This has been a public information broadcast on behalf of everyone that likes media threads. thanks.

:cool:

rog

Post by rog » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:27 am

[PHP](Not loaded: nafP1JZGnCE)
(View video on YouTube)[/PHP]

Matty's example above would look like this in your comment window, also you can manually type the tags if you feel like it.

Don't forget that you may have to trim the end of the address off as well, if there are any extra codes on the end of the video name.

Daydream

Post by Daydream » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:16 am

Thanks, Matty!

DMB

Post by DMB » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:05 am

Thanks, Matty. :thumbup:

Monad

Post by Monad » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:12 am

Thanks Matty for this.

I still think it's a fiddly approach though - why can't we just do what happens at TR where you just paste the whole url and some forum magic converts that into a YouTube embedded link? What threw me at first was that was my expectation of what would happen here and I had to go and hunt for some examples of other postings before working out what to do - intuitive it is not. Aren't we using the same forum software?

Silly Sausage

Post by Silly Sausage » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:23 pm

Cool :thumbup:
"Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet" - Professor Stephen Hawking

Matty

Post by Matty » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:31 pm

[quote=""Monad""]Thanks Matty for this.

I still think it's a fiddly approach though - why can't we just do what happens at TR where you just paste the whole url and some forum magic converts that into a YouTube embedded link? What threw me at first was that was my expectation of what would happen here and I had to go and hunt for some examples of other postings before working out what to do - intuitive it is not. Aren't we using the same forum software?[/quote]

i did ask, it apparently creates some security risk and this way is more secure.

even putting the YT tab on the front page so you dont have to go through "go advanced" would make a bit of difference imo.

eta and np. :)

Rie

Post by Rie » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:37 pm

But me no butt er buts Matty. I try and I try and I try and i try and... ah cain't git no satisfaction...NO :mad: NO NO :d unno: :bang:

MrFungus420

Post by MrFungus420 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:48 am

Or just ignore him and post the links... :evil:
If there is a God, why did he make me an atheist? That was his first mistake.
-Ricky Gervais

Matty

Post by Matty » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:37 pm

[quote=""Rie""]But me no butt er buts Matty. I try and I try and I try and i try and... ah cain't git no satisfaction...NO :mad: NO NO :d unno: :bang: [/quote]

yay yay yay, hear what i saaaay

even with those instructions rie? bugger. i thought it was failproof, and i had you (and david b ;) ) in mind when i wrote it.

where d'you need more clarification? is it the tabbed browsing and copy and paste bits?
PLease let me know the sticking points in order cos I am fucking determined to get it in a form you can happily follow. That will feel like some sport of pedagogic validation for me.

Monad

Post by Monad » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:43 pm

[quote=""Rie""] I try and I try and I try and i try and... ah cain't git no satisfaction...NO :mad: NO NO :d unno: :bang: [/quote]

Fresh batteries? :evil:

mood2

Post by mood2 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:00 pm

*lies back and lights a ciggy with a satisfied smile*

Sapphyre

The How To Embed A Friggin' You Tube Video Public Information Service Thread Redux

Post by Sapphyre » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:17 am

Ok kiddies, gather around for the lesson.

This is the youtube front page:

Note the bit circled in red. It's going to be important as we go along.

You will notice when you first land on youtube that the url is http://www.youtube.com.

Urls are like directions you give a taxi driver to get to where you are going. If you look carefully at the bits between the dots you will notice they typically follow a certain order:

www - this tells the taxi driver "hey, we're going to look at something on the world wide web!" (typically what people call "The Internet"). There are other protocols in use but let's just stick with thinking www means "The Internet" so as not to confuse the matter.

youtube.com - this is the next bit. It tells your taxi driver that you want to go to youtube street in www city.

Now let's look at where an example video lives on The Internet:

In this case the url (the instructions we will give our taxi driver) is (circled in red):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUV65sV8nu0

So. We have the www bit. We have the youtube.com bit. What comes next?

Well the specific street address we want to go to is IUV65sV8nu0. The /watch?v= bit is just computer speak for "take me to that address, IUV65sV8nu0, that is on youtube street, on The Internet."

Hopefully this is all clear so far.

Now to post this video onto this messageboard imagine we were able to ask the taxi driver not only to go to that specific address, but pick up the DVD on the table, bring it back to the taxi, and play it on the in-car DVD system for us. This is what tagging does:

[html](Not loaded: )
(View video on YouTube)[/html]

So. Let's see how we practically make the tag work it's magic.

If you hit "reply" or "new post" you should see a button that looks like this:

on the top two toolbars of the editing box, like this (You must be in advanced reply mode to see the little youtube icon, this will not work in quick reply mode):

If you click that little youtube button automagically this will appear in your post:

[html](Not loaded: )

Now remember our taxi driver? He already knows he needs to go to The Internet (the www bit). He already knows it is on Youtube street (the youtube.com bit). He just needs one thing to be able to go get your video for you: the street number.

This street number is the bit, AND ONLY THE BIT, that comes directly after the /watch?= bit:

I REPEAT, YOU JUST NEED THE BIT AFTER THE = SIGN. In this case that bit happens to be:

lUV65sV8nu0

So. I then select that bit with my mouse, hit copy, and paste it directly in between the [html](Not loaded: )
(View video on YouTube)[/html]bit:
[html]
(Not loaded: lUV65sV8nu0)

If all goes according to plan you should see this (using my example):

(Not loaded: lUV65sV8nu0)
(View video on YouTube)

And tada! That's how you embed a youtube video.

But wait, there's more!

There is one complication in all this. Sometimes you will see the /watch?v= followed by the string of 11 numbers and letters which is what you are interested in, but it will be followed by something else:

This is the bit of the address that is like a chatty taxi driver telling you about all the interelationships of the people who live on Youtube Street. You should ignore everything after the & sign in this case, as that information is totally extraneous to the information needed for the tags to work:

JUST THE BIT BETWEEN THE = SIGN AND THE &. Copy that bit. Stick that in between the (Not loaded: [\YOUTUBE] tags:

[YOUTUBE]*it goes here*[\YOUTUBE]

To summarise: make a new post. Hit the Youtube button. [YOUTUBE][\YOUTUBE] tags will automatically appear. Go find the youtube video you want to post. Copy the string of numbers and letters and only that string of numbers and letters and paste them in between the [YOUTUBE] and [\YOUTUBE] bits. Hit the submit button. Your embedded youtube video should appear.

Criticism and suggestions on how to improve this tutorial gladly welcomed :)
)

(View video on YouTube)
Last edited by Sapphyre on Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Monad

Post by Monad » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:21 am

[staffnote]Last post moved here so it's in the sticky and as it's an addition to Matty's[/staffnote]

Matty

Post by Matty » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:35 pm

nicely done sapphyre.

Rie

Post by Rie » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:27 am

Yeah well... easy for some Matty. I'm practising with Metal Guru, which song I love but no go so far. however after going over your instructions again (for the hundreth time) I for the first time noticed the bit about the share button......Um :hmm: . So maybe?
"You understand?" said Ponder
"No. I was just hoping that if I didn't say anything you'd stop trying to explain things to me." - Terry Pratchett, The Last Hero

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:35 am

Do you mean this:

(Not loaded: EpA-7dNuobU)
(View video on YouTube)

Sagan

Post by Sagan » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:56 am

I don't know if this has already been said but the format is

">(Not loaded: ********[/ youtube]<" NO SPACES or "><"(******** represents the characters between "v=" and "&")

ie

[youtube]p86BPM1GV8M
)

(View video on YouTube)

PROTIP: to view YT videos in HQ even when the option is not there add "&fmt=18" to the address line

Rie

Post by Rie » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:10 am

I'm going over to Sapphy's house, just around the corner, and if she's not pretending to be asleep then I'm going to practice embedding a frigging video. I don't want to muck up the stately and seamless series of posts of music I see and ... well, where there's life there's hope.....
"You understand?" said Ponder
"No. I was just hoping that if I didn't say anything you'd stop trying to explain things to me." - Terry Pratchett, The Last Hero