Digital camera recommendations?

From gardening and needlework to Mornington Crescent and captioneering.
Worldtraveller

Digital camera recommendations?

Post by Worldtraveller » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:18 pm

So, I'm looking at getting a decent entry level digital camera that I'll be able to expand with additional lenses as I get proficient with it. Hah!

There's a Nikon DX D5200 on the local CL for $375. The reviews seem decent for this camera, but there are some others I was looking at too (Nikon D3100, Canon EOS 700D).

Any recommendations? I'll mostly be using for wildlife photography, so I'll want to get a good telephoto lens soon, probably. Also for sports (racing) photos, but less of that. I would think the same lens would probably be wanted for that anyway?

I'm willing (likely) to buy used, and I'm trying to keep the initial outlay under $400. I realize I may wind up spending about twice that on my first good lens upgrade.

Koyaanisqatsi

Post by Koyaanisqatsi » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:05 pm

It's hard to go wrong with either Nikon or Canon, so it's really more a matter of putting your money into the lens and making sure you don't fall prey to bells and whistles (e.g., movie capacity if you're not using it to make movies). Here's a good piece on Nikon lenses for wildlife.
Stupidity is not intellen

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:15 pm

[quote=""Worldtraveller""]
Loren Pechtel;675911 wrote:
Hermit;675895 wrote:Canon. Please.
Had to borrow one a few months ago. No thanks, go Nikon! :D
[quote=""plebian""]I love my canon.[/quote]

[quote=""Loren Pechtel""]
Hermit;675914 wrote:
Loren Pechtel;675911 wrote:Had to borrow one a few months ago. No thanks, go Nikon! :D
I actually still have a Nikon FG and three Nikkor lenses to go with it. Nikon built bodies that were as robust as a tank and the quality of its glass was difficult to beat.

On the strength of that I bought a Nikon digital pocket camera a few years ago. Of the five digital pocket cameras it was by far the worst. I could not in good conscience actually sell it to anyone, so I finished up dropping it into our Council's electronic recycling bin and went back to buying Canon IXUSs.
I've never owned a Nikon pocket camera, only DSLRs.[/QUOTE]
Ya'll could post your opinions in my thread. ;) [/QUOTE]
There ya go. :D

I didn't think my posts were relevant because I was just yapping on about old emulsion film and more recent digital pocket cameras.

Worldtraveller

Post by Worldtraveller » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:44 pm

I'm actually going to be selling my film camera. It's a Pentax with a couple of pretty nice lenses, but there are only a few film buffs out there anymore, it seems, and I'm not dedicated enough to be one of them. I want simple and fast.

It's also mostly manual, so a lot of newer photogs aren't interested.

I want a digital that I can go full digital, or full manual (or auto aperture/f-stop, and just manual focus). Ideally, I'd like to be able to set some things to manual and some to auto as I want, so if anyone knows what might have those features, I'm all ears.

plebian

Post by plebian » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:47 pm

I still have my old Leica and lenses but I use a canon digital now for everything. It's about 6 yrs old but still works great. I have 4 lenses and usually only bring 2. Most of my shots are either very fast on water or landscapes and I've been perfectly satisfied with the Canon.

Worldtraveller

Post by Worldtraveller » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:19 pm

[quote=""plebian""]I still have my old Leica and lenses but I use a canon digital now for everything. It's about 6 yrs old but still works great. I have 4 lenses and usually only bring 2. Most of my shots are either very fast on water or landscapes and I've been perfectly satisfied with the Canon.[/quote]
Which model and what lenses, if you don't mind sharing? I'll probably be buying used, so I may go for a slightly older model if it does what I want for less $$.

plebian

Post by plebian » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:19 pm

It's a eos t3i. I have one 18-55 and one 55-250 for general close shots and landscapes. My high zoom lenses are 650-1300 and a giant that I can't remember but I don't use it much because even with the excellent image stabilization, it's hard to use on a boat. It's too easy to lose the subject.

Koyaanisqatsi

Post by Koyaanisqatsi » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:59 pm

[quote=""Worldtraveller""]I'm actually going to be selling my film camera. It's a Pentax with a couple of pretty nice lenses, but there are only a few film buffs out there anymore, it seems, and I'm not dedicated enough to be one of them. I want simple and fast.

It's also mostly manual, so a lot of newer photogs aren't interested.

I want a digital that I can go full digital, or full manual (or auto aperture/f-stop, and just manual focus). Ideally, I'd like to be able to set some things to manual and some to auto as I want, so if anyone knows what might have those features, I'm all ears.[/quote]

Pretty much any of the Nikon or Canon DSLRs will do this. What you're looking for in a digital is the quality and size of the chip. Here's a nice in depth article from B&H Photo specific to wildlife/landscape photog.

BTW, you may be able to get a lens mount converter for your Pentax lenses, so you may want to hold on to those. Typically with any such converters you loose any auto-focus ability (and auto-aperture), but it all depends on the converter and the camera you end up buying, so keep that in mind.

ETA: This is also a good article: Top DSLRs for Wildlife
Stupidity is not intellen

Worldtraveller

Post by Worldtraveller » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:01 pm

Thanks for the links, Koy!

I was considering getting a converter for my lenses, but they are completely manual, and I would like to at least have the option of AF when I get a camera. :)

plebian

Post by plebian » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:02 pm

[quote=""Worldtraveller""]Thanks for the links, Koy!

I was considering getting a converter for my lenses, but they are completely manual, and I would like to at least have the option of AF when I get a camera. :) [/quote]

I got a converter for my Leica lenses but only used it once. Total waste. The auto focus is amazing.