Flickr vs photobucket? Other options?

From gardening and needlework to Mornington Crescent and captioneering.
crazyfingers

Flickr vs photobucket? Other options?

Post by crazyfingers » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:56 pm

I have been using and paying for a Photobucket account but have now stopped. Over Xmas time they kept spamming me with Christian oriented offers. So I unsubscribed to their emails. But they kept spamming me. I unsubscribed again. The spam kept coming. So I have stopped paying for a photobucket account that allowed for more space and more uploads at a time (that I had been using for the wildlife topic).

So now I need a different service. Are there Flickr users here. Do you have any concers about their services?

PS, I believe that all of my wildlife photos here will still be fine. I just won't be using Photobucked for new posts.

DMB

Post by DMB » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:28 am

I've never had to pay for Photobucket. :confused:

MattShizzle

Post by MattShizzle » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:46 am

[quote=""DMB""]I've never had to pay for Photobucket. :confused: [/quote]

Me neither, but there is a limit to how much you can have there, so if you have a HUGE number of pics, especially high quality ones, you can exceed that and need to pay to get more.

crazyfingers

Post by crazyfingers » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:26 am

[quote=""DMB""]I've never had to pay for Photobucket. :confused: [/quote]

To upload more than a few photos at once you need to pay. In the wildlife topic I would post a few dozen at a time. Can't do that with a free account.

In reseaching services I came on a note that warned that Photobucket has changed their terms. They now claim joint copyright on all posted photos and can use them however they wish without your further concent.

That reseach also turned up that Photobucket is owned by Fox. That explains the Jesus spam they sent me around Xmas time.

MattShizzle

Post by MattShizzle » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:54 am

I only use it free and never got an email from them. If they are owned by FAUX I will never pay no matter what and won't ever click on any ad or such. Wasn't being owned by them what drove Myspace to extinction or as near as possible to it? I refused to get an account when I learned they owned it, and never had none. Of course Facebook when it came around PWNED them completely.

Roo St. Gallus

Post by Roo St. Gallus » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:56 pm

Like crazyfingers, I had a considerable gallery of photos at photobucket.

Their initial offer was free space where I could prep my photos for posting in various venues. I was with them for years at no charge....aka, 'basic service'.

Then, they started changing the rules of the game. There was a limit and I was past it and needed to pay to play....with my own pix.

My opinion is that they are basically bait and switch extortionists.
IF YOU'RE NOT OUTRAGED, YOU'RE NOT PAYING ATTENTION!

MattShizzle

Post by MattShizzle » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:07 pm

And recently they stopped allowing it to be used to host pics for posting elsewhere unless you pay some ridiculous amount.

crazyfingers

Post by crazyfingers » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:24 pm

[quote=""MattShizzle""]And recently they stopped allowing it to be used to host pics for posting elsewhere unless you pay some ridiculous amount.[/quote]

The only purpose I have for something like Photobucket is for posting photos at places like this.

At least it looks like they have grandfathered by wildlife photos here as they still show up I believe.

Worldtraveller

Post by Worldtraveller » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:51 pm

Have you looked into just getting a dropbox or google drive? They are both comparable in terms of cost for a terabyte.

If you're selling (or interested in selling) really hi rez pics or prints of pics, then Smugmug is the way to go.

crazyfingers

Post by crazyfingers » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:05 pm

[quote=""Worldtraveller""]Have you looked into just getting a dropbox or google drive? They are both comparable in terms of cost for a terabyte.

If you're selling (or interested in selling) really hi rez pics or prints of pics, then Smugmug is the way to go.[/quote]

I have Dropbox. I wasn't aware that I could use that to lost photos here.

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:16 pm

Instagram? You can set permissions to keep folders entirely private if you like.

crazyfingers

Post by crazyfingers » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:02 am

I'm expecting that pretty soon all of the photos I posted in the wildlife topic will be gone as Photobucket appears to now require paymemt for posting photos on discussion boards. Never mind that I was payimg them when I posted them.

I read on another board that the minthly charge to allow continued posting of photos is something like $30 . I think that Photobucket has decided to go out of business.

I suppose that this vindicates my disctrust of "cloud" services. They get your stuff, change their terms and claim joint copyright and then change their terms again.

Worldtraveller

Post by Worldtraveller » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:14 am

[quote=""crazyfingers""]I'm expecting that pretty soon all of the photos I posted in the wildlife topic will be gone as Photobucket appears to now require paymemt for posting photos on discussion boards. Never mind that I was payimg them when I posted them.

I read on another board that the minthly charge to allow continued posting of photos is something like $30 . I think that Photobucket has decided to go out of business.

I suppose that this vindicates my disctrust of "cloud" services. They get your stuff, change their terms and claim joint copyright and then change their terms again.[/quote]
Yeah, they are pretty much gone. :(

Swammerdami

Post by Swammerdami » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:06 am

Complete hosting service (unlimited disk space, bandwidth, e-mail, tools, personal domain) can be obtained from services like Lunarpages for $80/year or less.

I think several of you could band together (share the password) and get such an account for a lower price and much more convenience than the hosting services mentioned in the thread.

(I have my own personal website and would be be happy to help out EXCEPT that my site is linked to my Real Name™; and even though I've posted nothing incriminating at SecularCafe — yet! — the nickname "Swammerdami" might link me eventually to secrets I'm trying to hide from search engines. :cool: )

Shake

Post by Shake » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:58 pm

[quote=""crazyfingers""]
MattShizzle;674604 wrote:And recently they stopped allowing it to be used to host pics for posting elsewhere unless you pay some ridiculous amount.
The only purpose I have for something like Photobucket is for posting photos at places like this.

At least it looks like they have grandfathered by wildlife photos here as they still show up I believe.[/QUOTE]

That's why I originally got a Photobucket account. I'm not sure I can even access it anymore as it was tied to my also likely now-defunct Hotmail account. I seem to remember an issue where they also deleted a shit-ton of the photos I'd had stored there for no apparent reason. Now I'm curious ... I'm going to have to go see if it's still there and if I can get into it.

eta: after some work trying to recall my username and supposedly resetting my pw, I still can't get in. Oh well.
Last edited by Shake on Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MattShizzle

Post by MattShizzle » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:14 pm

That was the only reason I ever opened an account there. Is there anywhere that does that anymore that's free?

Old Woman in Purple

Post by Old Woman in Purple » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:51 pm

I have a number of broken links from previous Photobucket activity (which I keep intending to 'fix', but real life keeps distracting me). Lately, I've been using the 'Host then Post' site with no issues: linky

crazyfingers

Post by crazyfingers » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:16 am

Bumping this thread reminds me to go in and delete my photos. They don't work here any more so far as I can tell. I don't want Photobucket claiming joint copyright on my pictures as non professional as they may be.

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:12 am

[quote=""MattShizzle""]That was the only reason I ever opened an account there. Is there anywhere that does that anymore that's free?[/quote]
When Photobucket decided to charge for hotlinking I deleted all my photos from it and opened an account with https://postimg.org. It's been a bit flaky on a couple of occasions, but functions well for most of the time. You can choose from eight different sizes to have your photos resized, individually or by batch, or you can choose to not have them resized at all. It lets you hotlink for free. At this stage anyway. The site has been started in 2004.

MattShizzle

Post by MattShizzle » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:18 am

I can't figure out that resizing shit anyway, so that would be fine. I'm not good with technical stuff. At all.

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:31 am

[quote=""MattShizzle""]I can't figure out that resizing shit anyway, so that would be fine. I'm not good with technical stuff. At all.[/quote]
An that site you just click on the option of your choice. For the clueless it actually explains the sizes. So 100 x 75 is about avatar size, 115 x 112 is thumbnail, 640 x 480 suits message boards, 1600 x 1200 goes well with a 21 inch monitor...

I leave you to work out what "Do not resize my image" means in non-technical terms.

crazyfingers

Post by crazyfingers » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:52 pm

Thanks to this reminder I deleted all my photos from PhotoBucket and deleted my account. Since I got tired of posting wildlife photos I haven't searched for an alternative.

I do occasionally post wildlife photos on a Birdforum but I can use the attachment feature there.

I hope PhotoBucket goes out of business. Their radical change of terms was outrageous. I think that when I signed up they were changing me $2/month to be able to upload 20-30 photos at a time and link to places like this. When they raised the price to $400 per year, I essentially said "screw you. I'm gone".

StoneRoad

an alternative photo site

Post by StoneRoad » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:44 pm

History first - I used fotopic, then f***kr and when they went "all modern" in 2013, I emigrated to Ipernity, who themselves had some problems in 2016/7.

However, that is now all resolved as Ipernity is owned and run by a membership association. But there is more to Ipernity than just photographs, you can also post videos and documents, write a blog, join in a very wide range of groups ...
Saluton. mi estas fervojistino, kaj vi?
visit http://www.ipernity.com/doc/312383/album
to see what has been done! Perhaps we can do something for you?

Shake

Post by Shake » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:39 pm

[quote=""crazyfingers""]I hope PhotoBucket goes out of business. Their radical change of terms was outrageous. I think that when I signed up they were changing me $2/month to be able to upload 20-30 photos at a time and link to places like this. When they raised the price to $400 per year, I essentially said "screw you. I'm gone".[/quote]

I wish the same for PhotoBucket. If they hadn't deleted most of my photos, I'd do it now ... if I could even get into my account anymore, that is.