Another returning old-timer

Welcome to the Secular Café! Say hello and introduce yourself!
jayem

Another returning old-timer

Post by jayem » Fri May 26, 2017 4:21 am

I posted here fairly often back in the Internet Infidels days. I kinda dropped out of all internet message boards for a while--mostly due to getting too busy with work to spend time on discussion forums. But now I'm a retired dude, and have time just to schmooze. I've been a health care provider for 40+ years. M.D., board certified in internal medicine. I have a special interest in biomedical ethics, and served on a hospital ethics committee for 10 years. I'm also keenly interested in health insurance reform (though I'm now on Medicare, which our fearless leader says he won't touch.) I supported Bernie Sanders last year. It should be crystal clear to everyone with a functioning brain that some type of single payer health insurance, possibly based on the Medicare model is the only way to go. And as for philosophy, I'm a metaphysical naturalist. I reject the existence of all gods, angels, demons, spirits, ghosts, afterlife, heaven, hell, psychic powers, and any other entities or forces claimed to be supernatural. I believe everything in the universe is purely a function of matter/energy and the fundamental forces of nature. Of course I can't prove it. But I see no reason to believe otherwise.

I should add that while I don't believe in any kind of god, I do believe in a higher power. It's called my wife. :thumbup:
Nothing in life is to be feared. It is only to be understood.

---Marie Curie

Jobar

Post by Jobar » Fri May 26, 2017 12:51 pm

Welcome to SC, jayem. Did you use that screen name at II? I admit I don't recall it from there, but II was big enough so that even people with thousands of posts may never have interacted, if their interests varied widely enough, and they posted mostly in different forums.

SC is a much smaller board, but I hope you enjoy it here.

jayem

Post by jayem » Fri May 26, 2017 2:02 pm

I honestly can't recall what screen name I had back them. But jayem (JM) is my initials. (I borrowed the idea from Eminem.) Easier for an old dude to remember.

---Marie Curie

Old Woman in Purple

Post by Old Woman in Purple » Fri May 26, 2017 5:37 pm

Welcome, JM! I've been lurking in various forums since II also, tho have been mainly here at SC for several years.

My husband has also very recently retired (:banana :) , tho not being "of age" to get into Medicare yet... so we've been having all SORTs of fun finding our way thru the current disater that is our health care system. (:angry :)

sohy

Post by sohy » Fri May 26, 2017 11:09 pm

Since you don't remember your previous screen name, I'm not sure if I know you from II, but I'm happy to see you here. I do remember one active physician poster at II but I don't remember his screen name. We need some new posters here. Hope you will stick it out for awhile.

I am a semi retired RN who has primarily been caring for people with dementia for the past 18 years, and prior to that my expertise was in home health and/or public health. I celebrated the day I turned 65 three years ago, just because of Medicare. I'm looking forward to my husband turning 65 in October, hoping this will finally help me make the decision to retire, since we will no longer have to pay 600 dollars a month for a high deductible health insurance plan.

I'd love to hear your opinions regarding medical ethics. I'm especially interested in end of life care, and patient's rights. I'm a fierce advocate for the right of the individual to be fully involved in making health care decisions, assuming one has the mental capacity to do so.

Jobar

Post by Jobar » Fri May 26, 2017 11:21 pm

I remember Dr. Rick, but I know there were other MDs there too.

Jobar

Post by Jobar » Fri May 26, 2017 11:23 pm

Oh yes, I meant to mention that JM are my own first two initials. :)

jayem

Post by jayem » Sat May 27, 2017 3:47 am

[quote=""sohy""]
I'd love to hear your opinions regarding medical ethics. I'm especially interested in end of life care, and patient's rights. I'm a fierce advocate for the right of the individual to be fully involved in making health care decisions, assuming one has the mental capacity to do so.[/quote]

Hi sohy,

I'm a firm believer in patient autonomy. And the best way to ensure your wishes get done is to put them in writing. Everyone--no matter how young and healthy you may be--should have an advance directive. Where you state explicity what level of end-of-life care you wish, should you become unable to make those decisions yourself. And ideally, it should be combined with a Durable Power of Attorney for health care. Where you designate a surrogate who has decision-making power regarding your medical treatment, and will carry out your wishes as stated in your AD. Virtually every end-of-life care conflict we encountered on the Ethics Committee was really an intra-family disagreement. Some family members thought their ill relative wanted the full court press, while others thought he/she wanted nature to take its course. People can save their families a lot of heartache, and ill-feeling if they make their wishes clear in advance, and appoint one person to carry it out as their surrogate. My wife and I have done this, and our doctors have copies of the documents. I'm sure you'll agree that everyone should do the same.

---Marie Curie

Aupmanyav

Post by Aupmanyav » Sat May 27, 2017 5:27 am

Good that you are back. We need you. :)
'Sarve khalu idam Brahma'
All things here are Brahman (physical energy).

Copernicus

Post by Copernicus » Sun May 28, 2017 5:30 am

Welcome back, JM. I was around in the old II days, too.

Aupmanyav

Post by Aupmanyav » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:25 am

[quote=""jayem""]It's called my wife. :thumbup: [/quote]Yeah, wives are the highest powers, and control the world.
'Sarve khalu idam Brahma'
All things here are Brahman (physical energy).

Koyaanisqatsi

Post by Koyaanisqatsi » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:08 pm

Welcome. What do you know about rosacea?
Stupidity is not intellen

plebian

Post by plebian » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:06 pm

long treatment regimens with antibiotics seem to help

jayem

Post by jayem » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:33 pm

[quote=""Koyaanisqatsi""]Welcome. What do you know about rosacea?[/quote]

Dermatology is not my field of expertise. But I know topical metronidazole is usually a first-line treatment. I also know there's evidence that some foods can provoke the inflammatory response. I've heard variously that an alkaline diet, a paleo diet, and a diet high in omega-3s, can all be helpful.

I've found that WebMD and the Mayo Clinic web sites are generally well-balanced and trustworthy on-line resources.

---Marie Curie

Koyaanisqatsi

Post by Koyaanisqatsi » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:14 pm

Thanks, but I was actually just kidding; being one of those people at a party that the minute they hear someone is a doctor they ask them about a medical procedure.
Stupidity is not intellen

Roo St. Gallus

Back after hiatus

Post by Roo St. Gallus » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:21 pm

Well... I took a break and went off on pilgrimage. For two months.

I posted everything on Facebook, to my friends. Dunno if any are here or not.

I had a great time.

Anything change here? Anythig worth noting, that is?
IF YOU'RE NOT OUTRAGED, YOU'RE NOT PAYING ATTENTION!

praxis

Post by praxis » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:27 pm

Good to see you, Roo. Where did you go?

Jobar

Post by Jobar » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:16 pm

DMB's death has had things very quiet here, but it seems to be picking up some.

Roo St. Gallus

Post by Roo St. Gallus » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:25 pm

[quote=""praxis""]Good to see you, Roo. Where did you go?[/quote]

I was kicking around the UK, on holiday. A pilgrimage and wandering.

Roo St. Gallus

Post by Roo St. Gallus » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:31 am

[quote=""Jobar""]DMB's death has had things very quiet here, but it seems to be picking up some.[/quote]

Wait...DMB? What...How?

Copernicus

Post by Copernicus » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:44 am

Roo, there is a thread on the topic in Announcements.