Hello

Welcome to the Secular Café! Say hello and introduce yourself!
kr8

Hello

Post by kr8 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:56 pm

Hi all,

I just registered here after having searched for online discussion forums... I was hoping to find a smaller community that is not full of trolls.

I am very young, starting university in hopes to eventually become a doctor. Everyone around me limits their discussions to sites like twitter; I chose to deviate from that trend as I do not use websites like that at all.

I am of Persian (Iranian) background, living in Canada. My parents grew up during the Shah's time and I was born post-Islamic revolution. I am a patriot, and while I am not atheist, I do not align with any particular established religion like Islam. I do, however, have a faith in my own internal God, which is more of a source of hope than an honest belief.

Often I am busy studying so I do not have much time to post as much as most people, but I will read this forum a lot and hopefully participate.

Thanks

DMB

Post by DMB » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:09 pm

Welcome, kr8. Even if you don't have a lot of time, I hope you'll make a few posts.

Politesse

Post by Politesse » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:09 pm

Welcome Kr8! Always nice to meet young folks with big plans. I think fora like this can definitely be a relief for the sound-bite inclined world of five second media.
"The truth about stories is that's all we are" ~Thomas King

Old Woman in Purple

Post by Old Woman in Purple » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:28 pm

Welcome to SC, from the US-midwest! :wave:

Jobar

Post by Jobar » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:06 pm

A friend of my mother's, in the little town of Warm Springs, Georgia, is also a refugee from the Ayatollah. A very smart and independent woman, she's made quite a success of her life in small-town America.

Aupmanyav

Post by Aupmanyav » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:08 am

Welcome to the forum from one of Iran's oldest friends - India.
'Sarve khalu idam Brahma'
All things here are Brahman (physical energy).

kr8

Post by kr8 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:52 pm

Thank you all for welcoming me, seems like a very nice community

DMB

Post by DMB » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:05 pm

Well we do sometimes have rather heated discussions, but our rules are supposed to prevent too much rudeness.

However, for those who enjoy a bit of a fight, there is a special area for that.

OTW people at SC do behave quite well, and that's what we like to see.

kr8

Post by kr8 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:08 pm

[quote=""DMB""]Well we do sometimes have rather heated discussions, but our rules are supposed to prevent too much rudeness.

However, for those who enjoy a bit of a fight, there is a special area for that.

OTW people at SC do behave quite well, and that's what we like to see.[/quote]

Thanks, that's good to know.

Roo St. Gallus

Post by Roo St. Gallus » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:26 pm

If I might be nosy...

You are of Iranian heritage, living in Canada. I am curious as to whether your family came to Canada fleeing from the situation in Iran, or as an adjunct to some family or business venture in Iran? Is your stay in Canada intended to be temporary and you will return to your homeland in Iran?

A patriot...meaning a patriot to your homeland of Iran, or to Canada, your newly adopted country?

I ask because I have known several Farsi-speakers who are here in North America for many reasons and many variant expectations about their future. The Baha'i have, for the most part, decided to stay and attempt to assimilate. Others, like student employees I supervised, have just been pursuing a higher education in the US and were intent from the beginning to return home to use their education.

And...just starting university. Wow. A doctor, eh? You mean a physician doctor, not a PhD art history doctor (or some such), right? Typically, it's eight years or more from the starting point to an MD. Specialties add two or more years. Grueling. I wish you the best, particularly if you are taking it home.
Last edited by Roo St. Gallus on Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IF YOU'RE NOT OUTRAGED, YOU'RE NOT PAYING ATTENTION!

Roo St. Gallus

Post by Roo St. Gallus » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:47 pm

[quote=""Jobar""]A friend of my mother's, in the little town of Warm Springs, Georgia, is also a refugee from the Ayatollah. A very smart and independent woman, she's made quite a success of her life in small-town America.[/quote]

Yeah...There is a decent Farsi community in North America. My wife's step-sister, a nurse, married an Iranian exile heart surgeon. His family self-exiled because of their Baha'i faith.

And, I had several Iranian students I supervised at the health sciences university library. Every one of them impressive. And, every one intent to return to Iran and, probably, teach.

One of my big regrets is that when I traveled central Asia, Isfahan was not accessible to me; due to political tensions, of course.
IF YOU'RE NOT OUTRAGED, YOU'RE NOT PAYING ATTENTION!

JamesBannon

Post by JamesBannon » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:50 am

[quote=""kr8""]
DMB;669261 wrote:Well we do sometimes have rather heated discussions, but our rules are supposed to prevent too much rudeness.

OTW people at SC do behave quite well, and that's what we like to see.
Thanks, that's good to know.[/QUOTE]

The rules aren't too onerous. Oh, and welcome :wave:
There you go with them negative waves ... Why can't you say something righteous and beautiful for a change? :grouphug: