Yo - from Vancouver

Welcome to the Secular Café! Say hello and introduce yourself!
1ICrying

Yo - from Vancouver

Post by 1ICrying » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:45 am

Greetings. I'm new here. Looking forward to sharing my perspective with ya'll. Although I really do hesitate to lump myself into that pigeonhole labelled 'Christian', I guess I am one of them. I recently came across this description of something called a 'liberal Christian', and I think this comes fairly close to describing my current take on things. That link is here.

http://vancouversun.com/news/staff-blog ... -third-way

Having said that, I try to be a student of religions and philosophies in general and give everyone here, no matter what your faith or belief, my complete respect in advance. After all, we are all in this same boat of trying to figure it all out. I enjoy this subject but rarely take the time to discuss it with anyone. I guess that's why I'm here and I look forward to comparing my perspective with the other members here. Thank you.

Sincerely,

1ICrying

DMB

Post by DMB » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:04 pm

Welcome to the Café! Most people here are atheists, but we're glad to have believers as well.

Tubby

Post by Tubby » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:31 pm

[quote=""1ICrying""] I recently came across this description of something called a 'liberal Christian', and I think this comes fairly close to describing my current take on things. [/quote]

You might enjoying skimming through the 100 blogger comments here. Dan Trabue is a liberal Christian, while Marshall Art, Craig, and Bubba are conservative Christians. (This is one of a number of online scuffles they have had with one another. Depending on what device he is using to comment, Dan sometimes has to go on as Anonymous, but he usually types his name at the bottom in that case, to identify himself.)

Old Woman in Purple

Post by Old Woman in Purple » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:08 pm

Welcome, from the suburbs of Chicago! :wave:

1ICrying

Post by 1ICrying » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:26 am

Thank you DMB, Tubby, and Old Woman in Purple for your replies.

DMB - duly noted. Thank you.

Tubby, I have been reading through the thread you sent (100 blogger comments here). Thank you for that. Quite amazing how these threads can take on a life of their own, and get so intense.

If you guys have a chance to visit that liberal Christian link, I welcome any feedback on that. I'm not saying I agree with it all necessarily, but a sizeable chunk. This list of 10 things was quite refreshing for me. For a long time, I didn't know really what type of Christian I was, but I knew that I was not an evangelical-right type of Christian. I also knew that the Earth was not 6000 years old. Etc, etc.

Old Woman in Purple. How goes it in Chicago? I pray for you and the USA - as it looks poised for a civil war. And because of your president, I pray for the rest of us too.

Now, when i say pray, I guess that aggravates an atheist. And you know what, I'm not too much of a prayerer really since a) God supposedly knows what I want even before I do and b) I believe that God will do pretty much whatever God wants regardless.

And so I guess I believe we can only ever try to stay on the right side of God, kind of sucking up, because that's what you do with (a) God.

Now, who want to debate something and how and where do we start that? Or have we?

I am excited by this new opportunity to discuss these things they say we should not,

1ICrying

plebian

Post by plebian » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:55 am

Here's a question, why does it matter?

Pierrot

Post by Pierrot » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:10 am

How's the Canadian wall getting on? Hope that the BC end is waterproof.

1ICrying

Post by 1ICrying » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:05 am

[quote=""plebian""]Here's a question, why does it matter?[/quote]

A question, wonderful. Thank you Plebian.

Could you be more specific? Why does what matter and to whom (you, me, God?). I'm not so sure that it does.

And Pierrot. The wall here is coming along wonderfully. Did you hear about the plans for a lid? I hope it doesn't come to that.

Happy Valentine's Everybody!

plebian

Post by plebian » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:13 pm

[quote=""1ICrying""]
plebian;664586 wrote:Here's a question, why does it matter?
A question, wonderful. Thank you Plebian.

Could you be more specific? Why does what matter and to whom (you, me, God?). I'm not so sure that it does.

And Pierrot. The wall here is coming along wonderfully. Did you hear about the plans for a lid? I hope it doesn't come to that.

Happy Valentine's Everybody![/QUOTE]

Why does the existence or non-existence of god matter?

Roo St. Gallus

Post by Roo St. Gallus » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:53 am

Yo, Canuckistani!

I'm south right down the freeway in Puddle City, across the Columbia River from the 'other Vancouver'. The one that should be called Fort Vancouver.

I'm curious as to whether you've been hugging the banks of the Fraser for long, or you're a relatively new arrival. In other words, do you have moss growing on you already, or are you still spending your winter months trying to titrate your vitamin D3 and balance your full spectrum lights so that you don't succumb to SAD?

I'm a native here, even though I came from the 'dry side' (think analogous to Penticton or Kelowna) originally.
Last edited by Roo St. Gallus on Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
IF YOU'RE NOT OUTRAGED, YOU'RE NOT PAYING ATTENTION!

Copernicus

Post by Copernicus » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:23 am

Welcome to the board! I know that folks here are anxious to get started with debates on topics like why it matters that you believe what you believe. However, it is probably better to post on that subject in the general discussion forums. This is just a place to get to know you, not necessarily to defend your beliefs.

1ICrying

Post by 1ICrying » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:46 am

Hey Roo St. Gallus,

Thanks for the greeting. Ha, ha. Yes, we get our fair share of rain for sure, even more than you guys I guess. This year has been especially wet.

I was born here, so this is what I know. I lived in Hawaii once for 3 months and I started to wish it would rain. My wife is from Mexico City. She seems okay so far (8 years now), but I'm hoping she doesn't go insane. My dream now is to figure out how to spend a few winter months down there. Working on it.

plebian, I guess I will take Copernicus's advice and answer you in the general disussion forum.

My quick answer though to "Why does the existence or non-existence of god matter?" is that if there is no god - then I would assume that we all live as we are doing and then die, and that's it. But if there is a god, like the God of the Bible, who has given us instructions on how to get to the next level, then the people have hope of not dying. So, it matters infinitely (to those who want to continue on).

Tubby

Post by Tubby » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:17 pm

[quote=""1ICrying""] But if there is a god, like the God of the Bible, who has given us instructions on how to get to the next level, then the people have hope of not dying. So, it matters infinitely (to those who want to continue on).[/quote]

One of our theist members likes parts of the Bible, and casts out whichever parts he doesn't like as being errors. I'm guessing you are liberal enough to join him in denying eternal damnation as a possible fate in an afterlife?

{Not looking for an extended debate in this thread.}

Roo St. Gallus

Post by Roo St. Gallus » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:42 pm

I'm going to speculate that 1I is a 'literary Bible' kind of practitioner.

"It's literature...with stories and lessons and wisdom and folly and all that."

Am I close?
IF YOU'RE NOT OUTRAGED, YOU'RE NOT PAYING ATTENTION!

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:00 pm

[quote=""1ICrying""]My quick answer though to "Why does the existence or non-existence of god matter?" is that if there is no god - then I would assume that we all live as we are doing and then die, and that's it. But if there is a god, like the God of the Bible, who has given us instructions on how to get to the next level, then the people have hope of not dying. So, it matters infinitely (to those who want to continue on).[/quote]

Hi, 1ICrying. I started a thread where we can focus on discussing your question here.

Jobar

Post by Jobar » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:02 pm

1ICrying- neat name. :)

I concur with Copernicus, Introductions isn't a forum for debate. But let me offer this advice on discussing and debating contentious subjects here; be gentle as a dove, and wise as a serpent. (I think I read that somewhere. ;) )

We have some hardcore unbelievers here who aren't in the least shy about tromping on whatever beliefs anyone might consider holy, with hobnail boots yet. But you are free to ignore them if you please, and interact only with the ones you consider polite and reasonable. And we staffers will do our best to keep you from being dogpiled; we realize you are one and we are many. There are those of us here who have tried posting on boards like Christian Forums, and been treated quite shabbily; we aspire to show better manners here. (Without always succeeding, I fear. But we *do* try.) So if you think you are being insulted or personally disrespected please use the 'Report Post' button you'll see beside every post, and we'll do what we can to keep the playing field level.