hello from...

Welcome to the Secular Café! Say hello and introduce yourself!
Shaka

hello from...

Post by Shaka » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:42 am

Croatia. I was actually looking on Internet for some secular/atheist forum from my own region of the world, but since I couldn't find any I decided to crash-land on some of the universal forums where I can chit-chat little bit about secularism and how religion sucks.

Roo St. Gallus

Post by Roo St. Gallus » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:16 pm

Welcome.

It is true that most participants here are either US or UK based secularists, but there are a few other participants from locals outside those areas. I'd like to see more, myself.

So...What kind of religious shenanigans prevail in Croatia?
IF YOU'RE NOT OUTRAGED, YOU'RE NOT PAYING ATTENTION!

Copernicus

Post by Copernicus » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:26 pm

Greetings, Shaka. What area of Croatia are you from? I've visited Zagreb, Split, and Dubrovnik.

Old Woman in Purple

Post by Old Woman in Purple » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:46 pm

Welcome to Secular Cafe, from the suburbs of Chicago! :wave:

Shaka

Post by Shaka » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:11 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome!

[quote=""Roo St. Gallus""]Welcome.
So...What kind of religious shenanigans prevail in Croatia?[/quote]

Huh, you can only imagine. The Catholic church, I mean the lies these people just spout every day, it's so damaging like I lately noticed they are going against evolution.
There are so much retarded clergy... For instance there is an article by a priest who writes how this young unmarried couple tried to sex, but then the girl threw guy on the wall and then some other guys came in the room and they all got beaten up. Then they called him urgently and when he got there the daemon came out of girls vagina and started saying to him (in English, because he was in US) "You're fake" so he performed exorcism and saved the what ever.
I mean can you imagine this garbage? And the same priest is telling in the media how women can't be raped because if they didn't want sex they would block the penis with the vaginal muscles.

[quote=""Copernicus""]Greetings, Shaka. What area of Croatia are you from? I've visited Zagreb, Split, and Dubrovnik.[/quote]

Wow that's great! They used to tape "Game of Thrones" in Dubrovnik, so did you come because of that? I'm from the east (Slavonia).

[quote=""Old Woman in Purple""]Welcome to Secular Cafe, from the suburbs of Chicago! :wave: [/quote]

Great!

lpetrich

Post by lpetrich » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:39 pm

My father is from Croatia, and he originally spelled his last name Petrić. He turned it into Petrich for the benefit of English speakers when he went to the United States. I've heard my last name pronounced "Petrick" and "Petridge". But he could have turned it into Patrick and let everybody think that he was Irish.

His family's ancestral home is in Bol in the island of Brač (pronounced Brach). That's a short boat ride away from Split, the nearest big city. Many years ago, before Yugoslavia split up, I visited there, and I once climbed up the mountain slope and ate some figs off the trees. I also visited Split a few times, and I remember two ships from the Yugoslav Navy showing up -- a surface ship and a submarine IIRC.

I remember looking through a book that introduced the alphabet for little children. The first letter introduced was O and it showed a by who accidentally broke a window with a ball and was saying O O O O. The next letter was A, introduced with a boy teetering on top of a ladder and saying something like O A AO OA A OA AO. I don't recall much of the rest of the book, however.

Copernicus

Post by Copernicus » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:05 pm

[quote=""Shaka""]
Copernicus;664192 wrote:Greetings, Shaka. What area of Croatia are you from? I've visited Zagreb, Split, and Dubrovnik.
Wow that's great! They used to tape "Game of Thrones" in Dubrovnik, so did you come because of that? I'm from the east (Slavonia).[/QUOTE]
My wife and I visited Dubrovnik on a cruise a couple of times. We took pictures of the old city from the fortification where they filmed those Game of Thrones scenes.

Our early trip (Zagreb and Split) was in 1974, when we toured Europe on our honeymoon. Things have really changed since Tito's time. :)

Shaka

Post by Shaka » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:53 am

[quote=""lpetrich""]My father is from Croatia, and he originally spelled his last name Petrić. He turned it into Petrich for the benefit of English speakers when he went to the United States. I've heard my last name pronounced "Petrick" and "Petridge". But he could have turned it into Patrick and let everybody think that he was Irish. [/quote]

That is quite common name here. There is even a photography development place near me with that name.

[quote=""lpetrich""]
His family's ancestral home is in Bol in the island of Brač (pronounced Brach). That's a short boat ride away from Split, the nearest big city. Many years ago, before Yugoslavia split up, I visited there, and I once climbed up the mountain slope and ate some figs off the trees. I also visited Split a few times, and I remember two ships from the Yugoslav Navy showing up -- a surface ship and a submarine IIRC.[/quote]

Oh well then you probably had quite a stinky time. I mean I know Split pretty well, I used to go there every summer and from what I remember in Split in the center there is this place called Riva (long pavement running alongside sea where ships are tied) and it was pretty for the eyes but it was also the place of main sewage, so it stank like... well like a sewage. But during 90's they fixed it and it doesn't stink anymore. Still even now when ever I sense a smell of sewage I get a memory flashback to Riva.

And this is something I always wanted to ask someone from US: how different is it to swim in the ocean and in Dalmatia on Adriatic sea? I mean every time I see Ocean on TV it seems pretty wild and I gather that swimming in Adriatic is like swimming in the pool, compared to an Ocean.

Also I wanted to reply in the topic you opened "The Rocketing Dutchmen: Isaac Asimov on UFO's" but I get the message that topic is to old - so is it because I'm new and don't have enough privilege or is it out of reach forever?

[quote=""Copernicus""]
My wife and I visited Dubrovnik on a cruise a couple of times. We took pictures of the old city from the fortification where they filmed those Game of Thrones scenes.[/quote]

Well I hope you didn't eat there, because I hear prices are kind of high.

[quote=""Copernicus""]
Our early trip (Zagreb and Split) was in 1974, when we toured Europe on our honeymoon. Things have really changed since Tito's time. :) [/quote]

Oh yeah? Did they change for better or worse? I'm from relatively small town and when I cone to Zagreb I get overblown by how many people live there.

lpetrich

Post by lpetrich » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:15 pm

[quote=""Shaka""]
Also I wanted to reply in the topic you opened "The Rocketing Dutchmen: Isaac Asimov on UFO's" but I get the message that topic is to old - so is it because I'm new and don't have enough privilege or is it out of reach forever?
[/quote]
Everybody will get that message. I get it also. It's about the last post being made more than about 3 months ago. There is a checkbox below it labeled "I am aware that this Thread is rather old but I still want to make a reply." Click it and you can continue.

Copernicus

Post by Copernicus » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:07 pm

[quote=""Shaka""]
Copernicus;664268 wrote: My wife and I visited Dubrovnik on a cruise a couple of times. We took pictures of the old city from the fortification where they filmed those Game of Thrones scenes.
Well I hope you didn't eat there, because I hear prices are kind of high.[/quote]
The food was quite reasonably priced on our cruise ship, so we weren't very hungry. :)

[quote=""Shaka""]
Copernicus;664268 wrote: Our early trip (Zagreb and Split) was in 1974, when we toured Europe on our honeymoon. Things have really changed since Tito's time. :)
Oh yeah? Did they change for better or worse? I'm from relatively small town and when I cone to Zagreb I get overblown by how many people live there.[/QUOTE]
Zagreb is a small city compared to what I am used to. :) I can say that things are a lot better for visiting tourists these days, but now there are several smaller countries rather than the one big country. So the experience of visiting them is different. I've only been to Montenegro (Kotor), Croatia, and Slovenia so far. Never visited Serbia, Kosovo, or Macedonia.

Tubby

Post by Tubby » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:15 pm

[quote=""Shaka""]
And this is something I always wanted to ask someone from US: how different is it to swim in the ocean and in Dalmatia on Adriatic sea? I mean every time I see Ocean on TV it seems pretty wild and I gather that swimming in Adriatic is like swimming in the pool, compared to an Ocean.
[/quote]

Roughly 25 years ago our TV news showed people paddling around in a rubber raft on the calm surface of the Adriatic. The purpose of the story was to explain an algae bloom, which had turned the sea an odd color. (Red? Can't remember.)

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:20 am

[quote=""Shaka""]And this is something I always wanted to ask someone from US: how different is it to swim in the ocean and in Dalmatia on Adriatic sea? I mean every time I see Ocean on TV it seems pretty wild and I gather that swimming in Adriatic is like swimming in the pool, compared to an Ocean.[/quote]
Hi, Shaka. Although I've never been to the US (and never had any intention to visit that country, even before 46% of its people who did vote preferred to be lead by a stark raving lunatic rather than a warmongering wall street shill), I have swum in the Adriatic, the North, the Baltic sea, the Atlantic and the Pacific oceans among others, I can tell you that all of them can get quite stormy. The oceans are just large enough for proper swells to build up, rather than the onshore chop that any high wind generates, and because those swells can be generated thousands of kilometres from where they eventually end up hitting a shore, they get waves more often. Even tiny inlets like the Spencer Gulf in South Australia, near which I live, get rugged conditions on windy days. Most days it looks like this:

Occasionally it gets a bit rough.

The jetty's walking surface was about 2½ metres above water level at that time.

praxis

Post by praxis » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:24 pm

[quote=""Hermit""] Although I've never been to the US (and never had any intention to visit that country, even before 46% of its people who did vote preferred to be lead by a stark raving lunatic rather than a warmongering wall street shill)[/quote]It says something when the other 53% many of who believe themselves to be educated, smart, intelligent or sophisticated and informed people voted for the shill. :d unno:

Nice photos, BTW!

Hi Shaka! :)

Aupmanyav

Post by Aupmanyav » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:27 am

[quote=""Shaka""]Croatia. .. but since I couldn't find any I decided to crash-land on some of the universal forums where I can chit-chat little bit about secularism and how religion sucks.[/quote]Welcome from Delhi, India (25 million), but does religion always sucks? It is a need for many. Here, everything is tied to religion, but it does not oppress. Take it if you want it or otherwise leave it. No one is bothered. We loved Josip Broz Tito and Yugoslavia. Love the break-ups as well. Loving is sort of habit for us.
But during 90's they fixed it and it doesn't stink anymore.
Good to hear that.
Last edited by Aupmanyav on Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
'Sarve khalu idam Brahma'
All things here are Brahman (physical energy).

Aupmanyav

Post by Aupmanyav » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:39 am

[quote=""Hermit""]Image[/quote]Are the struts of the jetty made of wood or steel? I see they are differently angled.

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:25 pm

[quote=""Aupmanyav""]
Hermit;664359 wrote:Image
Are the struts of the jetty made of wood or steel? I see they are differently angled.[/QUOTE]
The original jetty, built in 1857, was made of wood. It was Adelaide's main freight transport node until its port was finished a few years later. Originally 381 metres long, a storm destroyed it in 1948, by which time it had become a tourist attraction with an aquarium, joyrides and other features.

This is all that was left after the storm.

Its replacement was built in 1969. It rests on concrete pylons.

Shaka

Post by Shaka » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:49 pm

[quote=""Copernicus""]
The food was quite reasonably priced on our cruise ship, so we weren't very hungry. :) [/quote]

Ha! ha! yes that is problem they encounter there is that tourist don't spend much off their cruise ships. Also city of Dubrovnik pays every year one Hollywood star to come there and be there for few days as sort of a promotion. One year there was Owen Wilson, other Morgan Freeman and so on.

[quote=""Copernicus""]Zagreb is a small city compared to what I am used to.[/quote]
What to Bellevue, WA? Don't you have like 120k people? But I guess you meant some other place. But the truth is Zagreb has about 1 million people but I guess on not such a big area and sometimes when I come there there are also people from other places. Last time I was there there were 100k people in just few halls from around the country. But that is probably unnecessary statement by me.

[quote=""Tubby""]Roughly 25 years ago our TV news showed people paddling around in a rubber raft on the calm surface of the Adriatic.[/quote]
Sorry can't remember.

[quote=""Tubby""] I have swum in the Adriatic, the North, the Baltic sea, the Atlantic and the Pacific oceans among others, I can tell you that all of them can get quite stormy.[/quote]

Thanks for the info. It's just that it seemed to me that the only way to swim on the Ocean, especially Hawaii or California you need a surfing board - which is great in it's own way because you can't surf on Adriatic so it always seemed like a loss. I will probably never experience surfing, which I probably wouldn't have a courage because of sharks.

[quote=""Aupmanyav""] but does religion always sucks? It is a need for many. Here, everything is tied to religion, but it does not oppress. Take it if you want it or otherwise leave it. [/quote]

Well I can imagine that they are more peaceful then Christians who dab into politics, education, how people have sex, medicine and you name it. But you also have madrassas don't you? They teach boys there to chant like mindless puppets. They don't teach them science there don't they? But only Koran. They don't look at a few maps or maybe talk about how continental drift works, right? Just try to imagine how much brain power our species squanders in this way. Are our challenges so trivial that we can afford to lose potential problem solvers in this way?

Copernicus

Post by Copernicus » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:36 am

[quote=""Shaka""]
Copernicus;664305 wrote:Zagreb is a small city compared to what I am used to.
What to Bellevue, WA? Don't you have like 120k people? But I guess you meant some other place. But the truth is Zagreb has about 1 million people but I guess on not such a big area and sometimes when I come there there are also people from other places. Last time I was there there were 100k people in just few halls from around the country. But that is probably unnecessary statement by me.[/QUOTE]
I lived in New York City for 14 years before moving to Bellevue. Bellevue itself is part of the greater Seattle area, where 2015 figures put the population at 3,733,580 people. This area accounts for half of the population of the state of Washington.

DMB

Post by DMB » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:18 am

Sorry I somehow managed to miss welcoming you to SC. I hope you enjoy being here.

Shaka

Post by Shaka » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:31 pm

[quote=""DMB""]Sorry I somehow managed to miss welcoming you to SC. I hope you enjoy being here.[/quote]
Super, thanks!

And also I just wanted to say to the people that are enchanted with Dubrovnik that they also filmed some scenes of upcoming Star Wars movie.

During the filming they payed people that lived in the street few hundred dollars not to open their windows.

And also I see there are people from US here I wanted to say that in my neighborhood there is an evangelical college built by your fellow american's money. I mean couldn't you at least build something like space center? Or science center instead of crap. :evil:

Aupmanyav

Post by Aupmanyav » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:47 pm

[quote=""Shaka""]But you also have madrassas don't you? They teach boys there to chant like mindless puppets. They don't teach them science there don't they? But only Koran. They don't look at a few maps or maybe talk about how continental drift works, right? Just try to imagine how much brain power our species squanders in this way. Are our challenges so trivial that we can afford to lose potential problem solvers in this way?[/quote]We have a 15% Muslim population of about 172 million. In addition to the normal government chools, there are all kinds of Madarsas. Some follow the government syllabus, some don't. Only those who follow the government syllabus are eligible for government aid. But as you know Madarsas are Madarsas. And the Quran teaching is there. The non-government Madarsas produce students who do not have qualifications for better jobs. These actually harm the Muslims, keep them away from proper education.

Even the Indian film makers were there. I rarely see films but it happens to be one of them. My grandson was seeing it.
http://www.havc.hr/eng/info-centre/news ... -dubrovnik
http://www.india.com/travel/articles/sh ... ee-in-fan/

JamesBannon

Post by JamesBannon » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:27 pm

:wave:
There you go with them negative waves ... Why can't you say something righteous and beautiful for a change? :grouphug:

Aupmanyav

Post by Aupmanyav » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:26 am

I can't make wholly positive news, that will be lying.

Shaka

Post by Shaka » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:56 am

[quote=""Aupmanyav""]We have a 15% Muslim population of about 172 million. In addition to the normal government chools,[/quote]

OK I see that you are in the mood to talk about religion and I see you say it's pretty peaceful in your country but what about famous case in 1989 in Moradabad when many hundreds of people were killed because a pig walked through a Muslim holy ground which caused Muslims to accused Hindus of driving the "unclean" animal into their sacred spot, and then bloodbath ensued. Maybe even few thousand people were killed because of that.
Or the Bombay Riots in 1993.
I mean isn't there like never-ending hate between Hindus, Muslims, and Sikhs? Even Gandhi himself was killed by a Hindu who thought him too pro-Muslim.

[quote=""Aupmanyav""]
Even the Indian film makers were there. I rarely see films but it happens to be one of them. My grandson was seeing it.[/quote]

Yeah there really seems a lot going there. Even as I write this Jamie Foxx is shooting newest version of Robin Hood there.

[quote=""JamesBannon""] :wave: [/quote]
:wave:

Aupmanyav

Post by Aupmanyav » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:29 pm

[quote=""Shaka""]OK I see that you are in the mood to talk about religion and I see you say it's pretty peaceful in your country but what about famous case in 1989 in Moradabad when many hundreds of people were killed because a pig walked through a Muslim holy ground which caused Muslims to accused Hindus of driving the "unclean" animal into their sacred spot, and then bloodbath ensued. Maybe even few thousand people were killed because of that.
Or the Bombay Riots in 1993.
I mean isn't there like never-ending hate between Hindus, Muslims, and Sikhs? Even Gandhi himself was killed by a Hindu who thought him too pro-Muslim.[/quote]No. You read me wrong. I was just stating the fact that madarsas which do not teach science are pushing their students back. Taking up cudgels against any religion was not the intent of my post.

With 1270 million people, how can there be absolute peace in a democratic country where will of the people has ruled for the last 67 years barring a two year hiatus. Yeah, we have our Hindu/Muslim riots where people may get killed (sometimes in hundreds but thousands very rarely). But that has not been able to disturb the structure of our (mixed) society. We also have problems with our neighbor, who keeps sending terrorists to our territory, engineer bomb blasts, prints counterfeit currency and recently has also started to sabotage our rail tracks to cause accidents which kill hundreds. Sikh and Naga separatism is dormant these days. But we manage in spite of these problems and have done fairly well (one of the best rate of progress in the world, hovering around 7%).