Hi Everyone :)

Welcome to the Secular Café! Say hello and introduce yourself!
Skepticali

Hi Everyone :)

Post by Skepticali » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:56 pm

Hi, I thought I'd check this place out. Lots of interesting threads so I'm hoping to jump right in. Looking forward to meeting all of you. :)

DMB

Post by DMB » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:20 pm

Welcome to the Café! :)

Do you feel like telling us something about yourself? (Not obligatory.)

Skepticali

Post by Skepticali » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:44 pm

Sure :) and thanks for the welcome!

I like long walks on the beach, sunsets, and gazing up at the stars. Joking....well not, really I like those things, but just being a bit of a wiseass. ;)

I live in CA (hence the Cali in my username). I'm a yoga instructor, vegan, and an atheist. I also belong to a few other atheist/non-religious forums, although I have to say you have a lot cooler smileys here :woohoo:

Just looking to make some new friends and talk to some cool people.

Tubby

Post by Tubby » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:01 pm

[quote=""Skepticali""]I live in CA I'm a yoga instructor, vegan, and an atheist. [/quote]

Good. We're short on leftists.

Old Woman in Purple

Post by Old Woman in Purple » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:26 pm

Welcome to SC, Skepticali! :wave:

I'm a suburban housewife in Chicagoland, who couldn't live without the occasional cheeseburger*. At least we agree on the important stuff: I'm a devout atheist. :)

*and, No, I'm not gonna say you're wrong about your choice of diet; vegan just doesn't work for me. I really enjoy being an omnivore, with a lean towards veggies.

Copernicus

Post by Copernicus » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:27 pm

Welcome, Skepticali. I hope that you find it enjoyable here.

Skepticali

Post by Skepticali » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:31 pm

Thanks guys! *waves*

Skepticali

Post by Skepticali » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:37 pm

Also, just wondering if there are "Like" buttons for posts here.

Old Woman in Purple

Post by Old Woman in Purple » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:38 pm

Well, if you check out our smilies, there is a "thumbup" one, thus: :thumbup:

(which is the word thumbup with a colon on each side, no spaces)

edited to add: the waving emoticon is the word wave with a colon [not asterisks] on each side, no spaces.
Last edited by Old Woman in Purple on Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skepticali

Post by Skepticali » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:40 pm

Ahhh okay, well :thumbup: to all of you. And to be clear, that's a thumb not a middle finger :D

Old Woman in Purple

Post by Old Woman in Purple » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:43 pm

If the latter were an option, it would likely be one of the more popular ones. Would probably not give SC a good impression to folks checking the place out.... We do like to discuss things, and we can get a bit honest with our opinions. :D

Skepticali

Post by Skepticali » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:44 pm

Good point :D

Pierrot

Post by Pierrot » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:55 am

Vegan is not healthy. We need some animal protein to give a full range of amino acids.

Skepticali

Post by Skepticali » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:44 pm

[quote=""Pierrot""]Vegan is not healthy. We need some animal protein to give a full range of amino acids.[/quote]

Um thanks for your input, but I thought this was the Intro thread and not the Food and Nutrition thread. I go to a nutritionist, so I'm fine, but thanks for caring. :rolleyes: Unlike many Americans, I don't have any issues with high blood pressure, cholesterol, and am not overweight so I must be doing something right.

subsymbolic

Post by subsymbolic » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:27 pm

[quote=""Pierrot""]Vegan is not healthy. We need some animal protein to give a full range of amino acids.[/quote]

That's a myth.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Vegetarianhe ... diets.aspx

Speaking with my biologist hat on, I'd probably argue that in the early stages of pregnancy, a tiny bit of fish would be quite helpful, but with care, effort and dedication even this can almost certainly be worked around.

I can move this to a more suitable place if any discussion takes off...

Jobar

Post by Jobar » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:56 pm

Welcome, Skepticali. Good to see new faces around here. :)

lpetrich

Post by lpetrich » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:49 pm

One can have a balanced vegetarian diet by eating from several sources of protein: cereal grains, legumes (beans, peas, lentils), nuts, and (other) seeds. Rice and beans are a classic combination.

Vegetarian Society - Factsheet - Protein
Protein combining

Of the eight essential amino acids two– lysine and methionine are given special attention in vegetarian diets. This is because compared with foods of animal origin such as eggs, milk and cheese various food groups of vegetable origin have an imbalance of either lysine or methionine. The food groups mainly in question are; cereals, such as wheat, oats and rice, and legumes; beans, peas and lentils. Wheat and rice proteins are comparatively low in lysine but better sources of methionine whereas beans and peas are relatively high in lysine yet in lower methionine. This has naturally led to the idea of cereals and legumes as ‘complementary’ proteins. In practice this means that meals that combine for example beans and rice or houmous and bread will provide a biologically ‘complete’ protein intake. It was thought until relatively recently that, as the body does not readily store amino acids it was essential for vegetarians to combine ‘complementary proteins’ at each meal. There has been some debate over this which has concluded that this isn’t strictly necessary, however it still has some advantages and seems a sensible way to approach a varied and complete diet.
The only problem is getting enough vitamin B12, but some vegetarians cheat a little-bit by being lactos (eating milk products), ovos (eating egg products), or both (lacto-ovos). That can provide enough B12. One can also get B12 from vitamin supplements or from fortified foods.

Sey

Post by Sey » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:55 pm

Always good to see another hippie-type here.
Welcome.

Copernicus

Post by Copernicus » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:45 pm

It looks like Skepticali was put off by some hostility in a discussion thread and left.