Go Back   Secular Café > Science and Stuff > Life, the Universe, & Everything

Notices

Old 26 Aug 2011, 06:31 PM   #253054 / #1
davidpbrown
No Dogma

Default People Are Biased Against Creative Ideas

People are biased against creative ideas, studies find

Quote:
The next time your great idea at work elicits silence or eye rolls, you might just pity those co-workers. Fresh research indicates they don't even know what a creative idea looks like and that creativity, hailed as a positive change agent, actually makes people squirm.

"How is it that people say they want creativity but in reality often reject it?" said Jack Goncalo, ILR School assistant professor of organizational behavior and co-author of research to be published in an upcoming issue of the journal Psychological Science. The paper reports on two 2010 experiments at the University of Pennsylvania involving more than 200 people.

The studies' findings include:
* Creative ideas are by definition novel, and novelty can trigger feelings of uncertainty that make most people uncomfortable.
* People dismiss creative ideas in favor of ideas that are purely practical -- tried and true.
* Objective evidence shoring up the validity of a creative proposal does not motivate people to accept it.
* Anti-creativity bias is so subtle that people are unaware of it, which can interfere with their ability to recognize a creative idea.
'Don't like change'
davidpbrown is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 26 Aug 2011, 06:40 PM   #253056 / #2
Clivedurdle

it has taken me a long while to realise you implement the change and ride through the noise. In a months time it is normal and has always been like that. You can of course do stuff to make it comfortable, but sometimes like with a rocket launch, not much can be done.
Old 26 Aug 2011, 06:44 PM   #253057 / #3
trendkill
Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion

Quote:
Results revealed that while people explicitly claimed to desire creative ideas, they actually associated creative ideas with negative words such as "vomit," "poison" and "agony."
LOL. (The foregoing laughter should not be construed as an expression of disbelief, or even surprise.)
trendkill is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 26 Aug 2011, 09:47 PM   #253103 / #4
lpetrich
Smart Designer
SysAdmin; Mod: LU&E, C&AS

This reminds me of something curious and perhaps related.

I recall from long ago that someone proposed that many people find it difficult to imagine inventing new ideas. Nothing ever gets invented more than once, some people seem to think. So other supposed inventors must have ripped off the first one.

Projected into prehistory, this leads to diffusionism and positing of numerous migrations. Agriculture only gets invented once. Pottery only gets invented once. Etc.

I recall this in connection with what someone once concluded about Erich von Daeniken's ancient-astronaut hypothesis. It was that that hypothesis is diffusionism taken to extreme, diffusion from elsewhere in the Universe. Nobody has to do that supposedly impossible act of inventing something.

Erich von Daeniken did not invent the idea, of course, but he is one of its best-known advocates.
lpetrich is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 27 Aug 2011, 03:23 AM   #253164 / #5
Barefoot Bree
Token Aging Flower Child

There's something hilarious about that last sentence, LP, but I'm too damn exhausted to make a successful punch line.
Old 27 Aug 2011, 10:48 PM   #253446 / #6
lpetrich
Smart Designer
SysAdmin; Mod: LU&E, C&AS

I don't know if Erich von Däniken reinvented the idea or learned it from someone else, but he was clearly not the first.

Back in 1950, Carl Sagan once loudly asserted "I say to you, Jesus Christ is extraterrestrial." Advancing to the late 1960's, he published Intelligent Life in the Universe with Iosif Shklovsky, and he included some ancient-astronaut speculation in it.
lpetrich is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 27 Aug 2011, 11:30 PM   #253452 / #7
Cath B
Super Gardener
Crazy Closet Champion, Candy Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpbrown View Post
People are biased against creative ideas, studies find

Quote:
The next time your great idea at work elicits silence or eye rolls, you might just pity those co-workers. Fresh research indicates they don't even know what a creative idea looks like and that creativity, hailed as a positive change agent, actually makes people squirm.

"How is it that people say they want creativity but in reality often reject it?" said Jack Goncalo, ILR School assistant professor of organizational behavior and co-author of research to be published in an upcoming issue of the journal Psychological Science. The paper reports on two 2010 experiments at the University of Pennsylvania involving more than 200 people.

The studies' findings include:
* Creative ideas are by definition novel, and novelty can trigger feelings of uncertainty that make most people uncomfortable.
* People dismiss creative ideas in favor of ideas that are purely practical -- tried and true.
* Objective evidence shoring up the validity of a creative proposal does not motivate people to accept it.
* Anti-creativity bias is so subtle that people are unaware of it, which can interfere with their ability to recognize a creative idea.
'Don't like change'
As well as the findings cited above I wonder whether folk who come up with creative ideas might tend to be less adept than most at conscious or unconscious social manipulation.
Cath B is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 27 Aug 2011, 11:35 PM   #253453 / #8
Cath B
Super Gardener

I wonder also whether folks' resistance to creative ideas (their own or someone else's) might depend on whether they live in stable or "interesting" times.
Old 28 Aug 2011, 12:29 AM   #253457 / #9
davidpbrown
No Dogma

I don't know whether selling the idea is properly 'social manipulation' but expect there's an element of that.

Resistance to imposed change is often also a reflection of poor communication.
davidpbrown is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 28 Aug 2011, 01:42 AM   #253464 / #10
Politesse
Sapere aude

My first physical anthropology prof once discussed an interesting proposal that the balance between a minority of risk-taking/creative people, weighed against a majority of safety-first/normative people, was necessary for the well-being of society as a whole and possibly one of the reasons for our adaptive versatility as a species: in normal times when all is going well, those who prefer normative behavior are a repository of collective pragmatic wisdom and will tend to keep things going at an even if homogenous keel; when crisis strikes or the situation requires a change of environment, the creative thinkers are suddenly valuable and indeed necessary to help society adapt to the challenge or the new niche.
Old 28 Aug 2011, 08:19 AM   #253507 / #11
Cath B
Super Gardener

^ ^ ^

Yes, I suspect there's something in that.

Though I think it may be over simplistic to divide folk into risk takers and safety-first folk. I wonder whether some folk may have the capacity to switch on generally dormant creative abilities at times of crisis.

This line of thought tends to put me in mind of the dynamics between Monkey and Tripitaka from the sixteenth century Chinese epic Journey to the West which I'm only familiar with from the abridged translation by Arthur Waley and the 1970s/80s TV series Monkey.

Throughout their long and hazardous journey together the boy monk Tripitaka is steadfast and ordered, but usually at a loss in a crisis. At these times Monkey's creativity and speedy responses come to the rescue. However, Monkey's wild behaviour can cause problems of its own, and Tripitaka keeps this under control by using prayer to tighten a band around Monkey's head when he thinks fit, thereby causing him extreme pain.

Last edited by Cath B; 28 Aug 2011 at 08:36 AM.
Old 28 Aug 2011, 12:10 PM   #253527 / #12
kennyc
I'm skeptical!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cath B View Post

Though I think it may be over simplistic to divide folk into risk takers and safety-first folk.....

I don't know....I tend to classify many an either "creatives" or "sheep."
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 28 Aug 2011, 01:30 PM   #253543 / #13
Cath B
Super Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Quote:

Though I think it may be over simplistic to divide folk into risk takers and safety-first folk.....

OK, imaginary social experiment.

Isolate a few groups, set up problems for them, watch the group dynamics as folk try to solve it and divide the individuals into sheep and creatives.

Set up new groups consisting of either all sheep or all creatives and set up more problems.

Will all the creatives continue to act creative?

Will all the sheep continue to act sheepish?

Old 28 Aug 2011, 01:35 PM   #253546 / #14
kennyc
I'm skeptical!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Quote:

OK, imaginary social experiment.

Isolate a few groups, set up problems for them, watch the group dynamics as folk try to solve it and divide the individuals into sheep and creatives.

Set up new groups consisting of either all sheep or all creatives and set up more problems.

Will all the creatives continue to act creative?

Will all the sheep continue to act sheepish?

Evolution in action!

could it be a "spectrum" of creativity? Oh my.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Secular Café > Science and Stuff > Life, the Universe, & Everything