Ebon Musings
Freethinker.co.uk

Go Back   Secular Café > Community Forums > Arts, Media & Literature

Notices

Old 12 Sep 2017, 10:56 AM   #676661 / #1
lpetrich
Smart Designer
SysAdmin; Mod: LU&E, C&AS

Default The Orville: a bad Star Trek ripoff?

Seth MacFarlane’s The Orville isn't the spoof Fox advertised. It’s much weirder — and worse. - Vox
The Orville Review: Seth MacFarlane Star Trek Rip-Off Morally Bankrupt | IndieWire

From the first link:
Quote:
1) The Orville is Star Trek fanfiction that will not (or cannot?) acknowledge that it is Star Trek fanfiction

2) The Orville is neither comedy nor drama

3) The Orville is an hour-long show for no real reason

4) The Orville’s earnest attempts at social relevancy clash with MacFarlane’s typically glib style

Bonus round: The Orville’s existence is the least confusing thing about it
From the second link:
Quote:
The best way to describe “The Orville” is “What would happen if a guy who spent years writing animated dick jokes for television got the opportunity to make his own ‘Star Trek’? Oh, and what if his parent network gave him millions to make that happen?” It is a show that will be baffling for people who have never seen an episode of “Star Trek.” And for fans of the franchise, who know intimately how a “Trek” series feels, it will be downright disturbing.

“The Orville” chronicles the adventures of Captain Ed Mercer (Seth MacFarlane) and the loyal crew of the U.S.S. Orville (seriously, it uses the prefix U.S.S.) as they soar through space on some unexplained exploratory mission in the far distant future. There are humans, and there are good aliens, some of whom are crew members, and there are bad aliens, who get fought in space battles. There’s also Ed feuding with his ex-wife Kelly (Adrianne Palicki), who now serves as his commanding officer despite the fact that that’s probably a terrible idea. But otherwise, it’s a simple show about decent people traveling through space and occasionally saying funny things.
So it's not even a very good ripoff of Star Trek. Not like Babylon 5.
lpetrich is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 14 Sep 2017, 02:17 AM   #676725 / #2
Mediancat
Moby Dick
Mod: Politics & World Events, SL&I
Railway Line Champion

seth MacFarlane has something to do with it, so I have no interest at all. The man creates horrendous comedies, so that he creates mediocre at best dramas is no surprise at all.

Rob
Old 15 Sep 2017, 01:26 PM   #676798 / #3
lpetrich
Smart Designer
SysAdmin; Mod: LU&E, C&AS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediancat View Post
seth MacFarlane has something to do with it, so I have no interest at all. The man creates horrendous comedies, so that he creates mediocre at best dramas is no surprise at all.
I've never watched anything that he has created, so I can't say.

Also, having the First Officer be his character's ex-wife seems like a bad staffing decision -- and a setup for bickering that is supposed to be funny.

But this is interesting: 'The Orville' packed with Star Trek alums

Seth MacFarlane himself: ENT Ensign Rivers
Penny Johnson (Dr. Claire Finn, ship's doctor): DS9 Kasidy Yates
James Horan (Sazeron): TNG Barnaby, DS9 Ikat'ika, VOY Tosin, ENT (?)
Jonathan Frakes (director): TNG William Riker
Robert Duncan McNeil (director): VOY Tom Paris
lpetrich is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 18 Sep 2017, 07:24 PM   #676892 / #4
Shake
Mostly harmless

When it came on last night after the football game, the wife, who admittedly is not a sci-fi fan, remarked to me as I reentered the room that if the first 30 seconds were any measure, this was a terrible show. I'd not heard that much about it and assumed it to be a comedic ripoff, and I'm long since burned out on sitcoms, so was never that interested to begin with. We found something else to put on.
Shake is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 19 Sep 2017, 12:00 AM   #676898 / #5
Copernicus
Industrial Linguist
Admin; Mod: Miscellaneous Discussions, Philosophy & Morality, Politics & World Events

I've watched the first two episodes and have mixed feelings about them. I find Seth MacFarlane very funny at times, but he relies too heavily on sexual and scatological jokes--always guaranteed to get laughs from a primate audience--to make me want to spend a lot of time watching his stuff. This is very light comedy fare that is intended to be a sendup of Star Trek. Nothing more. Having the first officer be the estranged wife of the bumbling captain is good for a few laughs. Don't take it seriously. It isn't genius material, but there are far worse comedies out there.
Copernicus is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 19 Sep 2017, 12:25 AM   #676901 / #6
Wizofoz
Just this Guy, you know?
Mod: Introductions, Lounge, LU&E, Misc. Disc.

I can't work out what it's supposed to be- not enough laughs to be a comedy, too broad to be a drama.
Old 19 Sep 2017, 08:21 AM   #676910 / #7
subsymbolic
screwtape
Mod: Philosophy & Morality, Smoking Section

I agree with all of the above, apart from two things.

I rather like it, in between the uneven tone and scatology.

I think it is very deliberately meant to be a homage to the original series rather than a parody. At this point it is rather uneven, but I can see a possibility of it settling down into something quite good. The combination of Roddenberry's original optimistic vision with Mcfarlane's good natured but slightly silly 'realism' just might be a winning combination.

Give it half a dozen episodes and it will either crash and burn or find a sweet spot. It's almost a pity that it couldn't be pulled into the original franchise because it would work a lot better without having to repaint all the tropes.
subsymbolic is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 19 Sep 2017, 01:54 PM   #676917 / #8
Worldtraveller
Will work for fun.

It's not a ripoff. It's supposed to be a parody. I haven't watched enough to tell if it's successful at that, but the general consensus I've seen is that it's not really all that funny.

If it comes on Netflix or some other streaming service, I'll probably watch it and judge for myself.
Worldtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Secular Café > Community Forums > Arts, Media & Literature