Rosa Rubicondior
The Skeptical Zone
Watching the Deniers
Others
Christianity Disproved
Count Me Out
Ebon Musings
Freethinker.co.uk

Go Back   Secular Café > Intellectual Debate and Discussion Forums > Philosophy & Morality

Notices

Old 15 May 2017, 04:15 PM   #671343 / #1
subsymbolic
screwtape
Mod: Philosophy & Morality, Smoking Section

Default Theory of Trump

You heard it here second:

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...nterpret-trump
subsymbolic is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 15 May 2017, 04:38 PM   #671344 / #2
Hermit
Metierioric fail

Quote:
a hopeless narcissist with the attention span of a fruit fly

Good article, except the author is wrong in saying that disorder, by definition, impedes success.

But still: MERGIFY! MERGIFY! MERGIFY!
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 15 May 2017, 05:21 PM   #671345 / #3
Koyaanisqatsi
Semper oppugnant quod max

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsymbolic View Post
Well, it's a bit ironic in that the author essentially says he's beyond categorization while at the same time pretty specifically categorizing him.

Of note:

Quote:
Trump defies our theory of mind because he appears to lack a coherent, persistent self or worldview. He is a raging fire of need, protected and shaped by a lifetime of entitlement, with the emotional maturity and attention span of a 6-year-old, utterly unaware of the long-term implications of his actions.
Iow, he's got Daddy issues. I raised this a while ago, but it's worth repeating in light of this; his father built skyscrapers to declare himself a titan in the world, whereas Trump built skyscrapers only to profit off of their bankruptcy/destruction. His father was a tyrant and a crook, but with a pretense of being a community leader. Same for the son, only the pretense is nakedly false and Trump seems to know this about himself. It's almost as if he's walking around in his father's skin in order to parade his father as the liar he was.

I don't think that's too far off the mark and it's coming from an armchair.

The other problem is that his actions are clearly betraying an understanding of his criminal behavior (unless it is all being orchestrated by Putin, which is a very real and even likely scenario). My own assessment is that he thinks he's a mob-boss and acts exactly like one, where the outside face is one of deliberate confusion and madness, while the inside face is one of calculation and a sort of "street-smart" thuggery. This too would be a result of his Daddy issues, as his father would have necessarily had multiple dealings with the NY mafia throughout his life and little Drumpf would have been exposed to that on a regular basis and seen (and thereby mimicked) his father interacting with them.

Now, what does any of that gets us? Not a whole hell of a lot, except it establishes at least two things: 1) his actions are self-aware/deliberate; 2) his actions are (more-or-less) predictable, at least in the fact that what he presents outwardly is always going to be something different to what he is thinking/doing inwardly.

Even without the armchair, however, his actions are predictable based on one far more simple fact; he's guilty. Every action he has taken is the action of a guilty person. It may be overblown and capricious and still demonstrative of a spoiled brat, but it is still all the action of a guilty person. In fact, I can't think of a singlle action he has taken that does not in some manner evidence his guilt. Can anyone else?

If there are one or two things, ok, that's a tough call. When everything he does not just evidences it, but reinforces it and doubles down on it?
Old 15 May 2017, 06:01 PM   #671346 / #4
JamesBannon
Close to the Edge

I thought the article captured him pretty well, though this might be a case of confirmation bias since it's what I already think of him.
Old 24 May 2017, 07:58 AM   #671895 / #5
Rie

Um.. and which one of you could sail in the wake he leaves... and which one of you is totally sure of his own sanity?
He has put America on the map again... and last time I posted there was much whingeing about how to make America GREAT again.
I wondered just what did define America's greatness... and along comes
Trump who unarguably is unique
Old 24 May 2017, 01:11 PM   #671916 / #6
Koyaanisqatsi
Semper oppugnant quod max

"He has put America on the map again"? When, exactly, was America not on any maps (figuratively speaking or other)? Or, for that matter, not "great" such that it needed to be made "great again" unless one is referring to the incalculable damage inflicted on our country in the eyes of the world by the criminal Bush administration?

That slogan is "make America white supremacist again" and little else.
Koyaanisqatsi is online now   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 08 Sep 2017, 03:30 PM   #676546 / #7
Shake
Mostly harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koyaanisqatsi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsymbolic View Post
Well, it's a bit ironic in that the author essentially says he's beyond categorization while at the same time pretty specifically categorizing him.

Of note:

Quote:
Trump defies our theory of mind because he appears to lack a coherent, persistent self or worldview. He is a raging fire of need, protected and shaped by a lifetime of entitlement, with the emotional maturity and attention span of a 6-year-old, utterly unaware of the long-term implications of his actions.
Iow, he's got Daddy issues. I raised this a while ago, but it's worth repeating in light of this; his father built skyscrapers to declare himself a titan in the world, whereas Trump built skyscrapers only to profit off of their bankruptcy/destruction. His father was a tyrant and a crook, but with a pretense of being a community leader. Same for the son, only the pretense is nakedly false and Trump seems to know this about himself. It's almost as if he's walking around in his father's skin in order to parade his father as the liar he was.

I don't think that's too far off the mark and it's coming from an armchair.

The other problem is that his actions are clearly betraying an understanding of his criminal behavior (unless it is all being orchestrated by Putin, which is a very real and even likely scenario). My own assessment is that he thinks he's a mob-boss and acts exactly like one, where the outside face is one of deliberate confusion and madness, while the inside face is one of calculation and a sort of "street-smart" thuggery. This too would be a result of his Daddy issues, as his father would have necessarily had multiple dealings with the NY mafia throughout his life and little Drumpf would have been exposed to that on a regular basis and seen (and thereby mimicked) his father interacting with them.

Now, what does any of that gets us? Not a whole hell of a lot, except it establishes at least two things: 1) his actions are self-aware/deliberate; 2) his actions are (more-or-less) predictable, at least in the fact that what he presents outwardly is always going to be something different to what he is thinking/doing inwardly.

Even without the armchair, however, his actions are predictable based on one far more simple fact; he's guilty. Every action he has taken is the action of a guilty person. It may be overblown and capricious and still demonstrative of a spoiled brat, but it is still all the action of a guilty person. In fact, I can't think of a singlle action he has taken that does not in some manner evidence his guilt. Can anyone else?

If there are one or two things, ok, that's a tough call. When everything he does not just evidences it, but reinforces it and doubles down on it?
I'm largely in agreement with this. I've heard him called a man-child, and it seems quite appropriate. I like your mob boss analogy, but I think that comes from his business dealings where people either kiss his ass or get fired. He's used to having his way, or being able to try to make a deal to get it.

What was smart though, was what he did on the campaign trail: he just told his audiences what they wanted to hear, regardless of what he actually thought about any of those issues or if he even had one inkling of fulfilling any of the promises he made (which in at several cases, he clearly didn't).

He's a hothead, focused on winning, which is a concept which may work in the business world, but it's more complicated when you're running a country. He scared a lot of people by making them think he was OK with starting a nuclear war with North Korea. Yeah, sure, we could/would "win" that, but at what cost? He lacks the foresight to realize that it wouldn't remain a North Korea-US conflict for long, and the fact that many thousands, if not millions, would die. His statement about healthcare could be echoed by him for any number of issues: who knew that healthcare/foreign relations/jobs and the economy/governing in general was so complicated? Answer: lots of people, Mr. President, but apparently not you.
Shake is offline   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 08 Sep 2017, 06:30 PM   #676547 / #8
Tubby
omnibus nabisco

One of these days I'll seek out a book-length biography of Joseph Kennedy, father of John et al. From what I currently know he bore a resemblance to Don T's father.
Tubby is online now   Reply With Quote top bottom
Old 09 Sep 2017, 04:10 AM   #676567 / #9
Politesse
Sapere aude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koyaanisqatsi View Post
"He has put America on the map again"? When, exactly, was America not on any maps (figuratively speaking or other)? Or, for that matter, not "great" such that it needed to be made "great again" unless one is referring to the incalculable damage inflicted on our country in the eyes of the world by the criminal Bush administration?

That slogan is "make America white supremacist again" and little else.
Well...

Not a slogan likely to put off many Australians, in fairness. At least not if Malcolm Turnbull's recent career has been any indication.
Old 09 Sep 2017, 04:53 PM   #676577 / #10
Roo St. Gallus
Loose Contact

Yes?

None of this surprises me at all. It is pretty much how I viewed him to begin with.

And....Do note that as a young adult, the Cheeto Benito had a mentor. That mentor was Roy Cohn. Cohn was probably there because he'd sussed out that the Cheeto Benito has no shame.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Secular Café > Intellectual Debate and Discussion Forums > Philosophy & Morality